2016 America Front Forks

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by SUPERGRANDAD, Aug 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SUPERGRANDAD

SUPERGRANDAD Noble Member

Jun 10, 2017
    Woodbridge Suffolk
    Hi guys and gals. Question for you. My America front end dives under heavy breaking especially when two up and fully loaded with luggage. I think the fix needs to be the fork oil. Reading I think the amount of oil is 552cc and it appears the standard weight is 5 ? Not sure on that one. But if it is 5 then that is the reason for the dive. Anybody changed their oil and what weight. I am thinking at least 15 weight. ? My trials bikes use 10 in much slimmer forks and far less overall weight of bike. Any advice from you guys. Regards Ken.

2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Just thinking practically, if you are two up with luggage then all your weight is to the rear and your front forks would be unloaded. Possibly look at if your rear suspension is set up correctly for that level of weight therefore offsetting the rear down front up scenario.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SUPERGRANDAD

Jun 10, 2017
    Woodbridge Suffolk
    #3 SUPERGRANDAD, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    I can assure the rear is good to go. The front is far too soft as standard, with full luggage and two persons. It only needs I think 15 weight fork oil and it would be fine. Thanks for the reply. Ride safe

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    The older models ran 10w oil so worth checking?

5. SUPERGRANDAD

Jun 10, 2017
    Woodbridge Suffolk
    Yes I think you could well be right ref 10. In the older model. I think I need to chat with Triumph and establish some facts before I change things. But if the info is correct the 2016 has only 5 weight then as I suspect that's the real issue. 10 is better than 5 but 15 would be just about right I think. Cheers for the reply.

6. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    I ended up with 15 and that was for 2 up occasionally, but like it for less dive when just myself.

• Like Like x 2