2015 Scrambler Sputtering, Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Jordan Jones, Oct 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jordan Jones

Jordan Jones New Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Spain
    Hi all, I have a 2015 Scrambler, I had a Zard exhaust on it but had to switch it back to the original so that I could pass the safety control inspection we have to do here in Spain every couple years (The Zard is way too loud). So I put the stock exhaust back on myself and took it to a dealer to remap it for the new exhaust and since then it sputters and jolts a bit. Mostly noticeable when on lower to moderate throttle. (idles fine)

Couple clues...I have some suspicious my battery might be nearing the end of its life, but could that cause this?

Im also wondering if the cause could be that when I put the stock pipes back on I didnt do it properly and there is a small air leak where the pipes enter the head?

Or I guess it could be any other number of problems. But I failed the safety control because the sputtering/mini backfires surpassed the noise level permitted by law.

Any ideas?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Jordan Jones
    Yes it could be a blow. Battery won't do that. But when you fitted the zard did you change jets in the carbs as that would most definitely do that with the oem exhausts. You need to seal all the exhaust ports plus the cans. I use silicon rather than gum gum as it is easier to remove.
    Regards
    Joe

3. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi , a remap can take several ride's , cold to hot to cold , for the ecu to relearn the necessary adaptations to suit your individual engine characteristics ! This plus 'air' Leak's in your exhaust system can cause the problems being displayed . don't change the jets as suggested by the above comment , as a fuel injected bike of 2015 vintage Won't have any !! It's Fuelling is Supported by Injection controlled by Computer ! As all Triumphs have been since 2009 !

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jordan Jones

Jordan Jones New Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Spain
    Yes, I bought this EFI bike partly because of all the "fun" I thad tinkering with the carb on my 79' Enfield. Happy to now be rejetting. Although also not so happy to be re-mapping. Didn't know the fact that it can take some time for the remap to adapt, good to know. But I don't think that's it. I've ridden it a good 150km since.

I think it's an air leak. When I put on the Zard I reused the copper gaskets, And once again the same gaskets when I put the stock pipes back on. I think Ill try and refit them with new gaskets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Capt
    I stand corrected yes they are still living it the past. But I didn't say change them I said were they changed for the zards. But you are right they would not have been.
    Regards
    Joe.

6. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Short term fuel and timing (if its has knock sensor) trim will be done in 10 to 15 klms and wont have a big affect on the general running as lambda feedback only run up to around 1200RPM....general fuel and timing maps are rigid and dont adapt at all.