2015 Bonneville Newchurch Rack / Pannier Rail Question

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by curly, Dec 28, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Above is fitted with a standard Triumph chrome rack.
    Can Triumph pannier rails be fitted as well?
    I am thinking of the top shock absorber mounting bolt, is it long enough to accommodate both both fittings at the same time?
    Anyone know the answer please?

Curly

2. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Yes Curly.

I've got the same set up, bolt is plenty long enough on the top suspension mount. Bottom frame mount bolts to rear foot peg.

JJ

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Thanks JJ, very much obliged to you for that.
    Happy new year to you.

Curly

• Like Like x 1
  4. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    You're welcome mate.

Btw, which panniers are you planning on fitting. I fitted some teardrop ones to mine. They look great, in keeping with the retro look of the Bonnie. In practicality they're crap. Opening is far too small and they don't hold much. Just bought some used cargo endurance panniers for a song off evil bay for next year's tour. Came with matching tank bag and rucksack. Just added a matching monster tail pack to complete the outfit.There's some great luggage bargains to be had this time of year.

Happy New year to you. :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    I had my mind made up on SW Motech blaze panniers on the basis that I think they look really good and the mounting system is far better looking, in my opinion, to the Triumph rails.
    I visited Winding Roads near Derby and had a good look at the Motech kit and immediately realised it was not for us.
    The opening is too restricted and stuffing the panniers looks like hard work, just like your teardrops!
    We then looked at some Kriega Duo 36 panniers and were very impressed!
    Simple to fill, waterproof and look timeless as well.
    Ex - display and now we know the Triumph rails fit in conjunction with the rack, we have bought for a good price.
    We have Kriega dry bags, one 30 litre and one 20 litre which last year we attached to the standard Triumph rack for our holiday in Spain, they are excellent quality and we really like them, so the switch from Motech to Kriega was easy, only gripe is we have to get some rails to support the panniers, Triumph rails do the job so we need to get hold of a pair.
    We will have to keep checking the bay thing, and the like, for some rails at a fair price, there is no immediate rush after all.
    With panniers and dry bags on board our old magnetic tank bag will be much, much lighter with only travel documents and maps, looking forwards to Spain this summer!
    Seen a pair of new leather Triumph panniers and rails on the bay for £146!!!!
    Sounds like a bargain but being waterproof, or as near to it as possible, is vital to us so these are not in the running.
    Thanks again JJ for your input

Curly

• Like Like x 1
  6. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Just trying to visualise the 2 screw holes under the seat, bike is elsewhere in a vacuum bag so not easy!
    They need to be able to be fitted alongside the standard Triumph rack of course.
    Sounds interesting though!

Curly

7. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Oh well, thanks for your attention though Half ton, all input appreciated!
    Curly

• Like Like x 1