2014 Bonneville Rotor Wear

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Guillermo salinas, Aug 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Guillermo salinas

Guillermo salinas Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Azusa
    My bike has 7200 miles and front rotor is smooth while the rear have grooves. The rear rotor with grooves has a slightly raised piece of metal and am wondering if it is a indicator to replace them. The bike brakes fine.

20200817_013204.jpg

20200817_013144.jpg

20200817_013126.jpg

2. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    By "rotor", do you mean the brake disc? Have you got photos of the "grooves"?
    I don't think that raised piece of metal is of concern: the pad will just wear around it. You might try to snap it off, but it's fused to the disc, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    There is a minimum specified thickness for those discs/rotors. I no longer have the same bike or manual but I think they are 5.5mm thick when new and should be replaced as they reach 5mm.
    That rear disc has been scored - my guess is by failing to change the pads until metal to metal contact occurred. State vehicle inspection regimes differ but it is of pretty marginal service quality. On the rear it is less important and new pads will wear to accommodate the scoring but at the cost of more rapid wear and less efficient braking.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Essexboy

Essexboy Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Essex
    That looks like it's scored due to the pads wearing down too far but it could be down to something like sand or grit, regardless of the cause though I would fit new pads and a new disc.

5. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    To hard material on the pads .mine on the deauville were good untill i started buying pads off the net ,gone back to buying from the bike shop they last longer and not so hard a material or as said before you have run them down to the steel

6. Guillermo salinas

Guillermo salinas Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Azusa
    I believe I did the same. I bought good pads but we're more aggressive. Now that rear brake often makes noise when braking... Should I go OEM or is there a good quality disc without the dealer price?

7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I used EBC organic pads both ends. Need a bit more lever pressure but terrific feel if you are often on wet roads.

Arizona? Hmm....

• Like Like x 2