2013 Tiger Explorer Xc Clutch Problem?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Boominater, Mar 7, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Boominater

Boominater New Member

Dec 3, 2020
    Illinois
    I have changed everything in the clutch except the basket. I did follow the service manual instructions and it still slips when you accelerate. I am really starting to wonder if it could be something else. everything original that I removed I measured and everything was within spec. I changed it all anyway with no luck. Is there anything else that could cause this. Help please I miss my bike

2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    #2 Helmut Visor, Mar 7, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  3. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    What oil did you use? Car oil is no good it has additives which cause clutch slip.
    Is clutch adjusted correctly if cable I dont know your bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Boominater

Boominater New Member

Dec 3, 2020
    Illinois
    The oil I use is Castrol gt full synthetic the same as when I bought it new. it's all hydronic and the clutch engages and disengaged good.

5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Weak springs? I know you said you have measured everything but could they be at the right length but have lost their strength??
    I had that on a car clutch some years ago, I know they are vastly different, but there was lots of friction material left and the pressure plate looked perfect just had lost its ability to apply the required pressure.

6. Boominater

Boominater New Member

Dec 3, 2020
    Illinois
    everything in the clutch is new except for the basket. the one thing I haven't changed is the slave cyl. but it works fine. New clutch plates, new friction plates, new springs and a new lifter plate. everything is from the triumph dealer stock parts.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    Did you soak the plates overnight before fitting them? Is the clutch activator disengaging properly? Were the old plates bluing?

8. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    I've read on EBC clutch packages that full synthetic oil can sometime cause the clutch to slip.
    I'd give a try with semi synthetic and maybe heavier clutch springs.

9. Boominater

Boominater New Member

Dec 3, 2020
    Illinois
    No I didn't soak them but I did coat both sides of each friction plate with oil as I put it together. The bike is due for a oil change , do you think that could cause it. I use the same oil that was used when it was new its , Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 100% Synthetic 10W 40. Would it be better to change to an oil that wasn't 100% synthetic. If so, would you have a suggestion on the oil I should use? Another question, is there anything with the slave cyl. or the pin that would cause the clutch to not fully engage. The original friction plates that I took out were not discolored and still measured in spec. Thank you for any help

10. Bolosun

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    To help eliminate the problem. Remove plates and soak them in oil overnight. Have a look at the clutch actuation mechanism and make sure it is freely moving both ways.
    It maybe worth running some engine cleaner through it and then try a bike specific semi-synth oil. I've never had any issues with either fully or semi synth on any of my bikes. But I know some have had issues with one and switch to the other and have cured their issues.

11. Boominater

Boominater New Member

Dec 3, 2020
    Illinois
    I will do that later today. Thank you for taking the time and helping. I'm hoping this will eliminate the problem. I will be sure to post the outcome. thanks again

12. Boominater

Boominater New Member

Dec 3, 2020
    Illinois
    Finally recieved a new updated slave cylinder and have it in. I have all the air out of the line and it seems to be working fine. I have the bike on the center stand. I started the bike pulled in the clutch and put it in 1st gear, let out on the clutch and I hear a rattling noise coming from the rear wheel so I shut it off. with no load on the drive shaft and gear I think that's what the noise was. Could someone tell me how much movement forward and backwards you should have or shouldn't have with the back wheel w/ bike in gear on center stand. The u joint is good and everything seems tight from the joint back. I know there should be some play back and forth. It just seems like there is a lot of play before the joint or in the motor. I put a mark on the back tire and moved the wheel all the way one direction, held a rulers to the mark and I moved the wheel 2 1/2 inches in the opposite direction. is that OK or is that to much.

13. Bolosun

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    I think it will rattle if you engage the gear with it on the centre stand.

14. Boominater

Boominater New Member

Dec 3, 2020
    Illinois
    well I took it for a short ride and it still slips. I don't have a clue what else to try other than putting spacers under the springs to make it tighter. Everything is new in the clutch. I am starting to think it's not the clutch. Does anybody know if there could be something else causing this. Help please

15. Bolosun

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    So you have soaked the new plates in oil overnight?
    Tried a semi synthetic motorcycle oil?
    Checked your oil to make sure it is motorcycle oil and not the car version of Castrol GT. (Think it has a picture of a motorbike on it). Post a picture of the container and the spec label.
    The new and old plates are not bluing and they are within spec?
    Does it slip at any speed, under load?
    When did it start slipping? After an oil change?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Boominater

Boominater New Member

Dec 3, 2020
    Illinois
    The old friction plates were still in spec but I put new ones in anyway along with new clutch plates, new springs and new lifter plate and new slave cyl.. yes it is motorcycle oil that I put in. I have a service manual on the bike and have followed it to a T. everything measures fine and the clutch engages and disengaged fine. from a cold start it seems to grab good but I can't make it a block before it slips when I try to accelerate. The hotter it gets the worse it gets.. I'm at a loss of what to try next. I did put .080 washer under each spring to see if that would help Any and it didn't. I recon I have no choice but to take it to a service shop. I would welcome any suggestions

17. Boominater

Boominater New Member

Dec 3, 2020
    Illinois

18. Boominater

Boominater New Member

Dec 3, 2020
    Illinois
    I am still battling the clutch slipping. I now have replaced the slave cylinder also, took the master cylinder. off and checked everything out. Everything checked good so I put it back together and finally got all the air out of it. Well I took it for a ride and it was the same. Still slips when I accelerate hard. I don't have a clue what to try next.

19. Speedy Pete

Speedy Pete Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Kent
    It could be the EBC clutch plates, as quite often pattern clutch friction plates are all the same thickness, and standard OEM clutches have plates of different thickness as the correct clutch pack height is very important . (On some models more than others).

Have a look at this link showing 3 different thicknesses in the standard set up.

Again overnight soaking of clutch new clutch plates is best practice.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5596578/tiger-1200-explorer-xc-to-vin-740276/clutch