Speedmaster 2013 Speedmaster Handlebar Wobble Issue

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by SethAddington, Aug 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SethAddington

SethAddington Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Cleveland, OH
    HI Everyone!
    Newish to the forum and riding in general. I bought a beautiful used 2013 Speedmaster with 12k on the odometer. I noticed a handlebar wobble on deceleration when I take my hands off the bars any speed from about 35mph or higher. It's not a death wobble but noticeable. I cannot feel the wobble while my hands are on the bars at any speed.

I just replaced the tyres with stock Metzelers. Wobble went away temporarily for about 1k miles. I can't find anything wrong with it; nor can the dealer. Forks are good, the wheel bearing is good.

I replaced the fork oil. I do need to do brake pads soon. The bike has 40-liter fiberglass saddle bags on each side with an equal weight distribution of the contents inside.

Has anyone had this issue?

Is it just a trait of the bike?

I was told the bars should always be straight as an arrow/no wobble when taking hands off the bars while cruising.

2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

It's not blue and white, is it? Could be bent a bit!!!! Sn13kuc???? :p
    Prior to chucking mine at a truck, it ran straight and true, no wobble at any speed. Was on Avon Cobra's tho.

Have you tried it without the panniers? Extra weight and aerodynamics. Worth a try.

After that ditch the metz, they are truly the worst tyre. If it was OK for the first thou, might be the problem. How old is the back tyre? Amazing what changing that to a Cobra had on the handling of mine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SethAddington

SethAddington Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Cleveland, OH
    Thank you MrOrange. I appreciate your response. I took it into my Triumph dealer. They inspected the wheel bearing - all good there. Replaced the fork oil, inspected/tightened/lubed the steering head bearing. Fork inspection all good. The wobble is gone now. So I am very happy. I will try a different brand of tyres next time around. But for now, we are cruisin smooth and straight.

• Like Like x 3
  4. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    They fixed it when they lubeded and tightened the head stem bearings !!

• Agree Agree x 2