Featured 2012 Speed Triple R 'Transformer Headlights in the skip !!!! '

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by stick393, Mar 14, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. stick393

stick393 New Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Oxted & Costa Blanca
    Hello one and all,

Literally just joined this forum, not new to bikes but very new to Triumph .... so last September I treated myself to the brand spankers new Speed triple R ..... :)

Having done my homework previous I knew that I had made the right choice, which coming from a sports bike background took longer than I expected ! but my mates came through and I was so advised ...

However the most glaring thing for me was the 'Transformer' like headlights on the new model .. love them or hate them ? HATE THEM .. so what to do ... Get hold of a set of old round ones ( Thunderbird Storm) -

So as an introduction to myself on this site I thought I would post a picture of the result ... :)

I would VERY interested in what people think .. O you may have noticed my profile picture !! .... that what I'm aiming for the final result ! IMAG0736.jpg

IMAG0736.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  2. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Hi Stick393 and welcome to the forum.

Interesting point you have brought for your first thread also...
    Like you I wasn't taken but the new bug eyes but have stayed with them, I know not why lol.
    Yours looks fab with the roundies... First new shape I've seen with them and I think you've made a good choice.. :upyeah:
    Like you say, love em or hate em.... What I also like about virtually any triumph is that nearly no two are the same...
    It's these little cosmetic tweaks which make the difference...
    Keep the pics coming buddy as you go, enjoy the forum and keep your thoughts and POVs coming, it's all good. :wink:

3. stick393

stick393 New Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Oxted & Costa Blanca
    Hello Jim,

So a fellow Notts boy !! looking through this site I'm thinking we should start a Notts Triumph feed ! :)

Thanks for the positive comments .... although I will say the pic I posted doesn't do her justice .. I'm at work in baghdad at the moment but on my return I will post better pictures !

Looking forward to coming home and adding Demon Tweaks rear sets !!!!..... very nice and then heading down to H&M Racing in Edenbridge for a K&M filter/re-mapping and Dyno run :)

Obviously I will a) post new pics and b) the results / after performance

take care bloke

DK

• Like Like x 1
  4. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    #4 JimDiesel, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    Hey DK, seems to be more n more notts riders than any others, wonder if that's to do with Pidcocks Triumph pushing the forum out there??? If it is then fair play and thanks Pidcocks, keep up the good work :upyeah:

Yeah your thread idea sounds like its worth a go...
    Although we don't want non notts feeling alienated...

Yeah she looks great mate, my only regret was not going for the R...
    Maybe next time..

Rear sets etc have you looked at or messages on here Conquest Carbon?
    The guys name is Steve, mega helpful and really know his stuff, he's had many awesome bikes and can get or at least know where to get most parts, he's a lead player in the forum and offers a nice discount for members... On prices which are already very competitive, sound him out before you order from anywhere else.

Are you changing the rear sets for a reason or just bling??

I'm guessing with your work location your poss in forces, if so or even if not, let us know when you hope to get back and we can hook up for a ride and discuss how your lamps have slowed the R girl down lol...
    Stay safe, enjoy the forum and get some threads and feedback going.. :biggrin:

5. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Hi stick393 welcome to the site. I am new to Triumph and for me the Dame Edna look has grown on me, the same lights are on the Mrs's Street Triple and like them.

Just think the round headlights make it look like the old model, but I guess that's what you were trying to achieve. I do like he old model by the way:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Transformer headlights - I can relate to that... :biggrin:

Like it Stick - 'Stubby' - nice!

• Like Like x 1
  7. stick393

stick393 New Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Oxted & Costa Blanca
    #7 stick393, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
    Black and yellow striped bloke :) .... glad you like !! as I said in my very first post ... I'm 1 sleep away from coming back from work ... so it will soon be time to take the bike down to H&M race performance, and get some juicy tweeks done ... :):) ... and I'm just waiting to find out from my local (F********ing Awesome dealer) ... if the 2010 Gilles rear sets will fit onto the 2012 R ? ... will have to wait and see ... and as promised more pictures to follow .. the only thing I'm not sure about is a fly screen ... I've literally looked at 100's of pictures now and I'm still undecided .. I think the thing that puts me off the most is from the side it looks WAY ! to forward of the bars ? if that makes sense .. so I will either not have one or look into getting a custom one made .. thanks again for the 'like' and I'll catch you on the flip side :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. funguseater

funguseater New Member

May 5, 2013
    That actually looks...... Awesome... More pics and details of how you did it would be good :upyeah:

9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    What you getting from H&M... I will be going there soon to get the suspension sorted... May also buy a quick shifter but need to see how the cash flow goes....
    If your looking for a tune up I recommend T3 racing in Wrotham. Don't buy a power commando and save yourself £250-£300...
    Get your ECU remapped... Had mine done fantastic....

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kradser

Kradser Active Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Esbjerg Denmark
    I really didnt think it bothered me, you know the different lights.... But the more I looked through the speed triple gallery, the more I liked round lights.:smile:

Then stick393, fucked it up for me, a new speedy with round lights:eek:... theres something I like about the round lights... its not really the bike, I think the speed triple is great, its the lights... I do have them on my cbx.....:upyeah:

Has anybody put the new transformer lights on an older model, just for fun??

• Like Like x 1
  11. Explorer

Explorer Member

May 31, 2013
    Screwball I thought the rear suspension on the dark was to hard, it was throwing me off the seat, I felt every little ripple in road surface. Took it to an ohlins service centre, they said triumph must have had the rear spring made especially for the R model, it was set up for track and to long, it only had 4 mm of sag in it, where a normal spring will have 12mm to play with. I had the spring changed and both front and back set up for my weight, it's now a different bike.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Cool am taking mine to H&M soon to get sorted out.... How much you weigh.. I'm a large lad so can compress most springs.... Makes a change as most bike springs are too soft for me but I normally end up riding round the problem...

13. Explorer

Explorer Member

May 31, 2013
    Sorry screwball missed your reply been away, I,m 12 stone. Why did you have the ecu remapped have you got a aftermarket can on ?

14. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    #14 Screwball, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    Yes photos and video on the site....

Bike is loads better now... the front was way too hard so adjusted and set up..loads better. the rear spring is slightly too soft for me but not a worry for road use.. was 1 or 2mm out of adjustment.. front was dialled in OK though...
    Can't wait to get some miles on it next week..

15. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire
    Apple Von crumble has just done that very thing - I'm sure he won't mind me posting a pic he put on Twitter. Check out his channel on youtube - funny as!
    View attachment 1432

• Like Like x 3