Speedmaster 2011 Speedmaster Tends To Steer On Slow Speed Manoeuvres

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by mayhem, Jun 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mayhem

mayhem New Member

Jun 23, 2020
    Italy
    Hello Everyone. Just bought a 2011 Speedmaster. As the title says, I noticed that during slow speed manoeuvres (for example start and turn), the handlebar tends to steer by itself.
    I'd like to know if it is a normal peculiarity of the Speedmaster (given the angle of the front fork), or if there could be some other issue..
    I have already check the tire pressure and it's ok.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

2. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Over tight or worn headstock bearings?

• Like Like x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I had an 09 Speedmaster and it was the worst handling bike I’ve ever owned :(
    I loved the engine and gear box and think it’s one of the best looking bikes out there :cool:
    Handling is fine but not great once you’re up to speed :)
    But mini roundabouts and car park manoeuvres was bordering on dangerous at times :eek:
    These bikes can be improved immensely by changing the tyres and rear suspension :)
    If it’s still got the original metzeller tyres on I would change them for some Avon’s :)

• Like Like x 4
  4. mayhem

mayhem New Member

Jun 23, 2020
    Italy
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I'm a newbie and it's my first motorcycle, after many years on a little honda SH :oops:.
    I felt in love at first sight with the Speedmaster, but now I am a little worried about this issue with the handlebar and I'm trying to understand how to handle it.

5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

It’s because of the raked out forks that make the bike feel a bit floppy at low speed manoeuvres :(
    As long as the head bearings and tyre pressure is ok then it’s just a case of getting used to it :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  6. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    My Speedmaster is really floppy at low speeds. Dilligaf is right, the rake causes that feel at low speeds. Don’t fret too much though. It’s something you will learn to deal with. It’s really not that bad. I do recommend new tires, NOT the ME880! Also have the steering head bearing checked just to be sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1