2011 Speed Triple Wont Start After Sitting In Garage For A While

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by fitzie, Aug 6, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. fitzie

fitzie New Member

Aug 6, 2022
    brooklyn
    2011 speed triple wont start, it was sitting for a while, probably a year before I last ran the motor. replaced the oil (it was low) replaced the fuel, it was on a battery tender so no issues there. Oil light is on. Before I put in oil, the starter would just click. Now it turned, but I don't hear any firing. I was thinking about checking out the oil pressure sensor, just see if that changes the oil light, or maybe checking the spark plugs to see if there any issue there.

I would appreciate any tips before I have to tow it to the shop.

2. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Although it was on a tender, it's not unusual for a battery to still not have enough cca's to fire up the engine (despite voltage being correct) so that would be my first look. Try/borrow one for test?
    Side stand and clutch switches checked too as they could also stop it.
    And, weirdly, headlight bulbs can stop it starting also. Check them?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. DavidS

DavidS Member

Jun 19, 2022
    East Sussex
    In the assumption 2011 is carbs (or even if FI) a year with modern ethanol infused petrol in the pipes will almost certainly gum everything up.
    My old KTM950SM had to have it’s carbs cleaned every spring after only 3 months of winter rest until I found local ethanol free fuel.
    I don’t know if you can get it where you are though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Well first off you dont have carbs but the injectors could be gummed up or even fuel pump. I agree about the battery, you wouldn't be the first, or last, to say the battery is good coz it is on a charger. Check battery at rest with a multimeter, should read around 12.4 to 12.6v. Then press starter and read again, if it drops below 12 v there probably isn't enough in the battery to fire. Can you try jump leads or a known good battery? Don't keep trying with a weak battery, you may bugger up the sprag clutch (starter).
    If you can get it running put a dose of fuel additive, redex , lucas, millers or similar in the tank and give it a good run through, if poss a good ride out may sort it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jesper Nordling

Jesper Nordling New Member

May 25, 2021
    Sweden
    1. Does the motor spin at the usual rpm when cranking?
    2. You can hear the fuel pump when turning the key to the on position?