2011 Speed Triple - Custom Map

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by R_1000, Sep 6, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Hi to all

I am currently running a GPR Lowboy exhaust. I am planning to do a Custom Map through a reputable Dyno centre who knows what they are doing. I live in Hertfordshire and the 2 nearest to me are:

Steve Jordans

BSD Performance

They are asking £350 (Talk about expensive :-() including VAT to out the bike on Dyno and Custom map the ECU. They can do it in 2.5 Hours while I wait.

Has anyone used these people and your thoughts on the same are very much appreciated.

Thanking you all kindly :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    I can see the benefit of ECU tuning with a turbo engine on say a car but would never spend that sort of cash on a tune like that for a standard N/A bike :)

3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Redthunder used Steve Jordans a week or so ago, he says he was happy with them. He'll prob give you the details, but pm him anyway

4. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I know what you mean darkman. I feel the throttle is not crispier and feel as if something is holding it back. When you open the throttle she pulls gently then the power comes out of nowhere. The other day I had to pull over to check if I have crapped my pants ;-).

T3 racing & Stevejordans are quoting me £200.

BSD is out of the question now.

Crispey - Thank you buddy. As you suggested I have dropped a PM to Redthunder.

5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
  6. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Copied below for others:
    Yes I am happy with Steve Jordans.

I have a K&N filter and after market silencers with the Cat removed and no O2 sensor, so it was running very different to stock, I did have the correct map for Arrow silencers which was the closest standard map.
    With the extra air flow I guessed it would be running lean so I wanted a run on the dyno to make sure the engine would be running as smooth and efficiant as possible, they could create a map for most power if you wanted but this was not what I was after

I turned up at 10:30 and they wheeled the bike in straight away, they were very knowledgable and said what they were doing, what they look for.
    They do several runs and have to let the bike cool between, although they have fans it was a hot day and they dont want to risk any chance of overheating.
    When they brought my bike out, the techy who was doing the run explanied they do a basic check before the run, oil, chain, coolant etc so it is sound to go ahead. He explained it was running lean and adjusted the map for each stage of throttle position measured in 5% increments, not just at 100% like other dynos.
    He said the standard maps work on most bikes, but to get the smoothest/best ride each bike needs its own map. He released about 10% more HP and I noticed the engine pulls smoother, it was smooth before but it can pull from lower in the rev range now.
    There is less bubbling and popping on the over run as the fuel mix is correct.

I have the print outs of the before and after of tourque and BHP and also the fuel mix, in the before the fuel mix is just above the minimum throughout the range now it is in the middle where it should be.

It isnt an all singing all dancing garage with bright lights and flags, but I was watching one of the mechanics and he was old school, working steady and methodically and laying the bits of the bike out in specific order and cleaning them as they were put back on.
    I spoke to another biker that said he had been bringing his bikes there for years, evan before the warranty runs out on new bikes as they do a better job than the dealers.

The price was fair and I am happy I went there, I left at 12:30

I would say make sure you get all the mods done you want to before taking it in, such as air filters, SAI removal or left in, baffles in/out, really anything that would affect the breathing of the bike.

They can also do the fuel balancing and suspension set up if you wish

If you do go there, take something to read, eat and drink as the village is small and quite a walk.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    BTW £200 inc VAT

8. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Thank you for the detailed review ^^^

I spoke to them this morning and there is no availabilityuntil October. So I'll just have to wait out.

Once again thank you Red thunder

9. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I spoke to a nice chap who works at the Triumph Dealers in Hemel. I asked him about the Tune Ecu. He said to go down the route of Rapid Bike Evo as he has one on his 2012 Triple 1050 and he thinks it a brilliant unit. He said that he bought an added unit (around £30) which allows you to review the performance back to back with stock ECU and with Rapidbike Evo and he says the low down and midrange performance is very noticeable.

I spoke to my brother in law who runs this unit on his KTM smt and he likes it. And this can be moved to a new bike by purchasing new wiring harness.

I just bought the unit today and was told it should be with me tomorrow. I will give you an update once I managed to set everything up and give it a run.

At the moment low down and midrange there is a lag. She constantly backfires on decel. Lets see what this unit does :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. RROB

RROB Active Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Worcestershire
    What do they cost ??

11. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Is that similar to the Triumph Booster Plug from Square Deals for £110?

Linky

• The BoosterPlug is the only Plug and Play device that offers a stabilized enrichment of the mixture with different ambient temperatures.
    • Improved and softer throttle response when rolling the throttle on-off.
    • Enrichment of Fuel/Air mixture when you open the throttle will improve acceleration.
    • Remove the Jerky low speed running that is typical for modern lean burn engines.
    • No more Puffing in your aftermarket exhaust on engine braking

12. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    £355 Inc VAT and Delivery. It's interchangeable between other bikes as you only need to purchase the wiring harness. Also if you decide to do any performance upgrade later on, the unit will adapt and self learn.

13. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I'm not sure. I haven't found anyone on s3 to validate this unit. So I'm likely to be the guinea pig ;-)

http://www.dimsport.it/en/rapidbike/evo/

I read some good reviews from triumph 675

Hopefully I will have uninstalled tomorrow night n go for a nice long blast ,(give the unit a chance to learn) Friday evening n see how it pans out.

14. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Meant installed.

I just hope propping the tank up and access are straight forward.

15. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I just realised I missed a key bit of info, yours is a 2011 model in which case the ECU is locked which is why SJ would not be able to do much!
    My 2010 was the last year with the ECU unlocked and can be modified.
    So the only real way to improve things is a 3rd party module to modify the timing and/or fuel map.

16. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Yep exactly n unfortunate. That's why I decided to go with the Rapidelivery bike evo. Let's see what it does. I would defo know the difference if there is any.

I'll drop a line once I get a good run on her

17. Taff Salmon

Taff Salmon Active Member

Aug 22, 2016
    no
    Curious! Mine is a 2014 and the ecu is not locked. At least I can connect tuneECU no worries so I assume that means it's not locked?

18. Taff Salmon

Taff Salmon Active Member

Aug 22, 2016
    no
    I was going to go to T3 for a custom tune as he reputedly knows his stuff and uses tuneECU. Ref the Gemini

19. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I could be wrong but I think the ECU was unlocked again on more recent models
    Good luck with the install and we are interested to hear about the result

20. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    After speaking to lot of tuners I am little concerned with this unit. They are saying, it's a good unit BUT not tested on Triumph by them. Those who have tested faced electrical issues with wiring harness. I spoke to T3 and they are pretty confident they can custom map my bike through TuneEcu!!! for £199 + VAT and not bother with Rapid Bike Evo. I am confused with what everyone is saying. Some tuners are saying TuneEcu won't do much on my specific 2011 model!!! Anyways I think I am better of returning this £355 unit and take the bike to T3 and see what they can do.

Any thoughts please?