2011 speed triple clutch

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by JACKO, Jul 23, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JACKO

JACKO Member

Sep 25, 2013
    I really am struggling with the clutch on this bike!

I have checked everything from lever position on the span, adjustment and cable routing. I have lubed all pivots at the lever and cable.

The amount of effort to pull in is heavy, if your using a lot ie in traffic it really hurts hand and wrist.

The clutch only seems to work with smooth shifts if pulled all the way to the bar, hard to do whwn your hand is dropping off!

I took it to my bike shop i bought it from and the mechanic says its a man's clutch, okay i am not arnold scwartchnegger but im not weak.

It really does spoil a great bike, because you are concious of a clunking gear change, especially changing from 1st to 2nd.

The bike only has 1650 miles on the clock.

I really need to get a triumph dealer to check it, but my only day off is Wednesday and they are closed.

Just wondering if any other owners think the clutch and gearbox are not easy to get on with.

Someone said that it could be sticking clutch plates due to storing on side stand and clutch not constantly immersed?

Any thoughts guys please as im thinking of trading it in for another bike if i cant sort it.

Cheers in advance

2. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    They are a cable clutch but I wouldn't say that the one I had was very heavy, as far a what the mechanic said that just sounds like you are getting fobbed off to me.

Athough it is very hard to gauge without actually trying the clutch.

See if you can try another clutch on a another bike the same as yours then you will have a good idea of what it is like.

Cheers

Steve

• Like Like x 1
  3. PeteH

PeteH Active Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Chester
    Take it the dealer on Tuesday and pick it up Thursday ? hang on tho...what dealer closes on Wednesday ? 7 days a week around here.
    How long have you had the bike and was it heavy when you bought it or have you noticed it ? My 13 plate has a lovely action...light smooth and positive...as it should be.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Have a sit on one or two other Speed Triples in showrooms, I do not remember my 2012 Speed Triple having a particular heavy clutch although the clutch on my new Tiger 800 is noticeably lighter and still cable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JACKO

JACKO Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Thanks guys, to be honest i think, its always been heavy, the fact you need to pull all the way to the bar to get smooth shifts dont help. I have adjusted the bite point, as best i can.

The bike used to be hard to get into neutral, this is better since i adjusted, but i feel that the clutch still does not disengage fully. I cant adjust anymore it will slip.

I changed the oil recently to check for any shards of metal etc, there was none. Im running castrol power1 fully synthetic oil as recommended in the manual.

Will have to pop to dealer and try other speeds.

Was the 2013 improved in the gearbox?

6. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    On the 2013 they changed the transmission inline with the Speed Triple R (from memory they put an extra dog in for shifting) this makes the gear changes more smoother.
    My 2011 Speed Triple could be a bit rough changing gears which was my only real criticism of the bike. Which is weird as the best transmission on any bike that I have used is my 1993 Daytona 1000 and with the hydraulic clutch it is brilliant.

What part of the country are you from Jacko as I may know someone who may be able to help.

Cheers

Steve

7. JACKO

JACKO Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Cheers Steve, I'm based in Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire

Cheers Pete

8. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Your quite close to me in Swadlincote, may be worth having a word with the service manager at Pidcocks Long Eaton. They appear OK and quite helpful; had both my Speed and Tiger off them.

9. JACKO

JACKO Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Cheers Rich

I went there the other week for a look see.

I tell you im very tempted to px mine and go for a new thunderbird storm!

I really like it, never ridden a cruiser but that bike looks awesome

Anyway will get my speed there if a test on a storm doesn't work out

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gerry

Gerry Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Gateshead, Tyne & Wear,
    Mines a 2011, clutch is'nt to heavy but if you try a street triple clutch they are a lot lighter.
    My gearbox clunks nearly all the time no matter what I do,
    If I oil the chain its ok for a couple of days Or if I adjust the chain same again ok for a couple of days.
    Im hoping its going to get better with age.