Sprint GT 2010 Sprint Gt 1050 No Start!

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Umlelo, Oct 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Umlelo

Umlelo New Member

Oct 14, 2020
    Australia
    Hey all, had this bike since new and apart from the rectifer/regulator issue others seem to have had it's largely behaved. Had the bike sitting in the garage for a few days but now she won't $%@ start!

Battery is good and displaying ample charge, electrics all whir up on ignition but not a peep, not even the familar click from the starter.

I've removed and replaced the battery to trickle charge just in case and checked all the fuses but still no luck. I've taken-off centre stand, put the kick stand up an down a few times, tried rocking her in and out of gear but sweet f'all.

Started trawling through the threads on here for potential causes and maybe an easy fix in case others have experienced something similar.

Hoping it is not the wiring but also note that the solenoid crops up as a common issue here. With that in mind, is there a quick way to check this and does anyone have a link or picture of this as the handbook is about as useful as a poke in the eye with a sharp stick! Feedback insight appreciated.:confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Could be anything from a bad clutch switch, or the main starter relay.
    As a start I would remove the seat and try to listen if the main relay near the battery clic. then I would listen to the starter relay (on a ST 1050 on right side, under the fairing, on a GT I don't know). then switch for another relay to check.

The circuitry is as follow: starter button, safety switches, if ok ECU send a + to the starter relay, the starter relay activate the main relay to send direct power from the battery to the starter motor.

Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. trudd

trudd Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Do you have the datatool alarm?

My ST has shown similar symptoms in the past due to the alarm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Umlelo

Umlelo New Member

Oct 14, 2020
    Australia
    Will do but I'm, not that cluey on the electrics I'm afraid, any pointers on how to actually switch for another relay?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Umlelo

Umlelo New Member

Oct 14, 2020
    Australia
    N
    Yes I see thats caused problems on here but thankfully I dont have an alarm fitted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    You can try to switch with the Main Beam realy. It's the only other one with 5 pins on the bike.
    But first check with someone that can put a finger on the relay if it "clics" as you press the start button. (sorry if I don't use the correct words, english is not my language). If the starter relay clics, do the same check with the solenoid relay near the battery. If both "clics" they are not the issue, you'll have to look around the starter motor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Umelo
    Welcome to the family. Yes listen for the switches kicking in. Get someone to help by pressing the start when you listen. The solenoid you can test by just putting something across the terminals. That side stand switch is a beggar as well you can test it by joining the two wires. Lastly the clutch switch at the lever is also a menace make sure it pushed in properly and operating I had that on my sprint spent a day looking then saw it dislodged.. These problems are the tricky ones and make you tear your hair out. Also make sure the that the battery is fully charged and not lost any cells and the wires are corrosion free both ends and tight. And check those fuses again and remember it may look good but that doesn't mean its not blown. Wish you luck. Tell you what just send me the ticket and I'll pop over and have a look.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Hi and welcome

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Umlelo

Umlelo New Member

Oct 14, 2020
    Australia
    Thanks Joe, will do...at this stage I'd be willing to shout that ticket, maybe after C-19!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Umlelo

Umlelo New Member

Oct 14, 2020
    Australia
    Thanks Hubaxe, will give it a go....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I seem to remember something about if the headlight bulb is blown, it won't let the bike start?
    Absolutely no idea what bike that was for but worth a look?
    You can even check that at night!!!;):)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Macduff

Macduff Well-Known Member

May 21, 2020
    Aberdeen
    My clutch switch occasionally sticks and the bike does nothing when the starter is pressed. If you're hearing nothing, my money would be on the clutch or side stand switches

Operating the clutch a few times clears the issue. Another one to add to my list of winter jobs ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    I was wondering if on the Sprint ST/GT we can bypass the clutch switch without any trouble for the ECU functioning?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tim Firth

Tim Firth New Member

Aug 12, 2021
    UK
    Hi, bit late to the thread but did you get sorted? I’ve got a similar thing checked relays swapped battery had side off so many times but sometimes it fires and sometimes it doesn’t . Headlights dim so that relay is working and sometimes the starter one clicks and fires and sometimes it doesn’t. Usually goes on 2nd or 3rd press but sometimes its over 10 .

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Macduff

Macduff Well-Known Member

May 21, 2020
    Aberdeen
    Hi Tim

If your headlight are cut off when you hit the starter, that would suggest the starter relay is working fine and the likely culprit is the main solenoid that delivers power to the starter motor

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tim Firth

Tim Firth New Member

Aug 12, 2021
    UK
    Thank you, new one in order but as usual after a day of fettling and spending money it’s been faultless all day - except Lh heated grip now not working and reading many kilo ohms so a second order just gone in