2010 Speedmaster Dash Lights Upgrade

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by John Leighton, Sep 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Leighton

John Leighton New Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Warminster
    Thanks for accepting me to the forum, I’m nearly 70 and been riding since I was 16, had all types of bikes and have owned a 2010 Speedmaster since 2005, it suites me fine, love it. Is there a simple led bulb replacement for the indicator dash lights?

• Like Like x 1
  2. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
  3. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    Edit - I'm sorry - as I re-read your message, I originally interpreted you meant the back-lights of the speedo - But I think you mean the Indicator lights for the panel on the tank? (item 10)

http://www.triumphcenteruppsala.se/index.php?action=showParts&id=236002&c=100066262#partslist

Now the fiche does not specify what type of bulb it is, but since they are all the same it would appear they are simple white bulbs behind each colour filter - you would need to remove them to see what it is
    One note when replacing bulbs behind coloured filters - you typically want an LED that is the same colour as the filter - i.e. a green LED behind a green filter, red behind red etc
    You could also look for integrated LEDS already encased in a lens housing of a suitable size for the OEM hole in the panel.

4. John Leighton

John Leighton New Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Warminster
    Hi
    Thanks

5. John Leighton

John Leighton New Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Warminster
    Hi, thank you for your reply, all the bulbs now fitted on the dash panel are 12v 1.7w, my owners manual states that all are 12v 1.7w except the indicator light is 12v 21w.
    I’ve found led lights that fit perfectly, but will not work for the indicator, it flashes one way only.

6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I have done the led bulb replacement in the tank panel on my America 09 , it is very simple. Pop out the coloured lens , then pull the rubber fitting up , squeeze out the bulb , put led replacement in ,testing it works ! As they are current direction sensitive ! Put the rubber fitting back in place and reinstated the lenses !
    Easy as !

• Like Like x 1
  7. John Leighton

John Leighton New Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Warminster
    Thanks for your reply, I’ve replaced all with good fitting led’s, all worked well except indicator, it works on left setting, but not on right! I’ve taken the led out, turned it round, but then only works on the right setting. Standard bulb works fine. I guess I’ve got the wrong led, what type are yours.

8. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hmm , that's a funny one. I used some led's that were designed for low lighting, they had white plastic cap's. I removed the cap's to find led's that faced upwards. Ideal for the coloured plastic lenses in the console. Not sure now what brand/type . I bought them from an Autopro outlet here in WA , came in a blister pack of two.

9. D'Ecosse

D'Ecosse Senior Member

Jun 23, 2019
    CA, USA
    #9 D'Ecosse, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    You'll need a non-polarized LED - that is one that flows current in either direction (in essence it is two leds in same package)
    If you end up replacing the actual turn signals to LED at some point it will create further problems because of how that circuit to the turns indicator is wired (it is connected between the two signal)
    You can prevent both issues and use that polarized LED you have now, if you do the diode mod to the wiring to the turns indicator.

Diode Mod
    diode_mod.jpg

10. John Leighton

John Leighton New Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Warminster
    Thanks for the reply, is a non polarised led an off thee shelf item, I’m in the UK and been to my local car accessories shop, they had never heard of them, I’ll have look on line later. Many thanks for your help.

11. John Leighton

John Leighton New Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Warminster
    Thanks for reply

12. John Leighton

John Leighton New Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Warminster
    Thanks for reply.

13. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #13 Wire-Wheels, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    You might want to check out superbrightleds.com ...J.D.

P.S. The BEST part of your post is you are 70 and still riding. :D. I'll be 74 here in a few weeks. Just had my America out yesterday. No place to go. Just riding for the hell of it ! RIDE ON brother !

• Like Like x 1
  14. John Leighton

John Leighton New Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Warminster
    Thanks for ur reply, I’ll checkout superbrightleds.
    I wish you a very happy 74th birthday, know how you feel about riding, it gets under ur skin and it won’t go away. I had a great holiday in California a few years ago, six of us (no women) flew from the UK to San Francisco, hired bikes and spent 2 weeks riding Highway One, amazing. Where abouts in California do you live?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #15 Wire-Wheels, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Mojave Desert. ...J.D.