2010 Daytona 675 Rectifier Wires Smoking

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by HelpMeImAlive, Apr 16, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. HelpMeImAlive

HelpMeImAlive New Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Ohio
    Hi guys, I recently purchased a Daytona and a couple weeks after riding it I smelled something burning and I looked down at this nice set of yellow wires smoking! I immediately went home and parked the bike. I took the fairings off and found what seems to be an aftermarket rectifier installed directly patched into the harness, with two wires ne t to it disconnected and the yellow neutral wires on the device melting the tape covering them. I am trying to figure out if these usually get too hot when they need to be replaced and if this is normal, or if someone may have wired it in incorrectly and what the two wires they disconnected may go to. I have tried looking up wiring diagrams but I cannot figure out what they are. Any help is appreciated!!

20220415_194957.jpg

20220415_194933.jpg

20220412_180412.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Are there any part numbers on it at all so you can see if it’s an original?
    And, definitely not normal sir.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Are there any part numbers on it at all so you can see if it’s an original?
    And, definitely not normal sir.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HelpMeImAlive

HelpMeImAlive New Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Ohio
    Its definitely aftermarket, as it seems they installed a relocation kit as it was held on by one fairing screw. The only number on it is 1406.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    HelpMeImAlive
    Yes not good. You must have had a short in the wiring or the rectifier is fried and not regulation. Welcome to the family. Hope you get sorted soon.
    Joe.

6. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I think reg/rec problems are not uncommon on the daytona 675's. Used to see a lot of topics on it when I frequented the 675cc forum. There's probably better help to be found over there since its a bike specific forum and the members should be well aware of the problems and fixes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. RazMan

RazMan Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2022
    Christchurch, UK
    Do you have a Lithium battery installed by any chance? Sometimes these can suck too much out of the alternator / rectifier.

8. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    On looking at the photos you posted it appears to be a cheap Chinese copy, and has had the wiring modified to suit it, it also appears the unit has been re located in an effort to combat overheating, instead of purchasing the correct part the previous owner has done it on the cheap and sold it on. Sprint Manufacturing retail a MOSFET regulator/rectifier supplied with new high power connectors and instructions, I have fitted these MOSFET units to a fair few machines and never had an issue. Thankfully it is easily remedied, the last unit I bought was around £140 I recall.

9. HelpMeImAlive

HelpMeImAlive New Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Ohio
    Thanks, thats what I figured. I found a MOSFET unit by RMSTATOR for around $130 as pictured. When installing should I cut the wires where the current one sits and wire the new one in, or try to trace the wires back to the original placement and connect the proper unit there?

10. HelpMeImAlive

HelpMeImAlive New Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Ohio
    Forgot to upload the picture of the new unit, but here that is.

Screenshot_20220419-115250_eBay.jpg