2010 Bonneville T100 Se Battery Flat

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by gilburton, Dec 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gilburton

gilburton New Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Ok my battery is completely flat(no lights in speedo/dash) I know about the starting problem if the bike is not used and the battery gets below 12.5 volts (I get that sometimes)
    It has been a problem for some time and I suspect that the real problem is a battery drain.
    I changed to a new battery app 6 mths ago. As it's now winter it hasn't been used much and I expected to have a problem today trying to start it but it is completely flat.
    I do have a maintenance charger but my other 2 bikes started up and don't run the battery down like this.
    Does anyone know if there is a particular problem with battery drain possibly a component failing??
    I only ask to save time looking for a drain and unplugging things as I have a multimeter and a reasonable knowledge of electrics and others may have come across a similar problem??

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    #2 Callumity, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Not sure what a T100 Se is! Either a spokey or mag wheels but for present purposes irrelevant anyway.

The simplest thing is to switch batteries as you have other bikes and get it running. Use your multimeter to check voltage at the battery, engine running. With a blipped throttle you should see 13.5/13.9V which tells you the charging circuit is working. Expect no more than mid to high 12+ V at tickover. This will then point the finger at the battery itself or some discharge source like an alarm, if fitted.

If you charge the suspect battery and take it to any local garage they shoukd have a load tester and be able to tell you if the battery is shot.

If the battery and charging system both check out you have a discharge to track down.

(I assume you have checked main fuses etc.). If you use crocodile leads from a car probably best with car NOT running unlike car to car.

3. gilburton

gilburton New Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Yeah that's all standard stuff I just wondered if the T100 had any component that was liable to problems causing a battery drain.
    I'll leave my charger on it for a few days and start checking it. I have done a battery drain check before so I'm no stranger to checking it out but the colder weather is not exactly inviting lol Hence my quest for any prior knowledge.
    The SE is the mag wheel one with the small wheels.

4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Nothing to cause a drain of which I am aware unless fitted as aftermarket accessories......

Was the ‘new’ battery properly commissioned? I ask because the ‘new’ battery I fitted to my car was seriously discharged and must have been in store some time since manufacture. Your charger should have fixed that though. My T100 carb model sees minimal charge loss month on month even over winter although it sits on a Ring charger over frosty months.

A load test of the battery would be my first step. They can be fickle in their lifespan.

5. gilburton

gilburton New Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Car batteries will sit for months with no real problem and still start but bike batteries seem more susceptible to failures for some reason??
    I know about the 12.5v battery problem not starting the EFI bikes so I generally leave it on charge when not using it but this is the first time that it is completely flat when not on charge.

6. BadBoiChriChri

BadBoiChriChri New Member

Dec 10, 2020
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hi out there, first time poster, long time trumpy rider....anyway, thought I would throw out there an issue i had this morning with my 2010 SE Bonne. Went to fire her up this morning for work, and she roared into life..then quickly cut out, clicking over ok, lights working ok, but its almost like the actual spark plug isn't turning her over...took her out in the weekend for a long ride, no issues (apart from getting caught in a bit of rain)......any suggestions what might be the issue?