2009 Tiger 1050 Battery Drain Woes

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Scotty Dog, Dec 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog New Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Dorset
    #1 Scotty Dog, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Hello, new member here, i joined to help out my Father who has recently bought an 09 plate Tiger 1050. He was a Honda man for 43 years, so this change of heart was suprising to say the least, but i had a go and i can see why he likes the Tiger.

A few weeks after picking the bike up the battery went flat, but once jumped it worked fine, until you turned the bike off and then went to turn it straight back on again it was dead, so we put a new battery on, a YUASA YT12B-BS and all was Fine . . . or so we thought.

Then the Bike sat for a couple weeks, Turned the key and it was completely dead.

On the 25th November, after we charged the battery it was @ 12.70V
    Ignition On was 12.09V
    While cranking it was all over between 10V & 11V
    While Idling its was 14.30V
    Then 10 minutes after turning off it was 12.72V, straight after we un-hooked the battery from the bike.
    In 24 Hours un-hooked on the 26th it had dropped too 12.67V
    Then hooked back up on the bike and another 24 hours on the 27th it had dropped too 12.52V
    On the 28th it was 12.43V
    On the 29th it was 12.30V
    On the 30th it was 12.21V
    On the 1st of December it was 12.13V
    On the 2nd it was 12.05V
    On the 3rd it was 11.96V
    On the 4th it was 11.87V

In comparison i have an S1000RR and on 2nd December my bikes battery was 12.82V and on the 6th it was 12.81V

While the Bike was off we pulled Fuses 1 by 1 and the only Fuse that had a Volt reading was Fuse 4 (Turn Signals/Alarm/Horn/Tail lights/Sidelights/Diagnostic Plug)

Me and my Father are Practical blokes, but Vehicle Electrics arent our strong point, and were struggling to find out why its Draining like it is, and its not fun seeing my Dad looking and feeling dejected by things, especailly as he seems to really like the Tiger, so any help would be Greatly Respected and Appriciated.

Thank you

Scott

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Sorry to hear it, alarms are often blamed for battery drain, the other thing to check for is chafed insulating, check around the battery then go for the obvious where the wires go through the holes ie lamps etc

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Other than as said the alarm (try disconnecting to check) it will require a lot of patient testing with a meter preferably with a beep tester to tell you where there is a short to earth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog New Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Dorset
    Thanks for the Replys, to out Knowledge it doesnt have an alarm fitted, but as you say will soldier on with testing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog New Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Dorset
    #5 Scotty Dog, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    While the bike was Off, we disconnected the Earth and put the Multimeter from the Earth terminal to the earth wire and it showed 0.002A.

We also disconnected the Live and put the Multimeter from the live terminal to the starter solinoid relay, on the Power wire and the starter feed wire and again it flicked from 0.001A too 0.000A.

We also noticed that the Reg/Rec got rather warm while the bike was running.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    When did the reg / rec get warm ? after it was switched off ?
    If so sounds like a defective reg / rec, probably a failing internal component or connection, as these are not user repairable replacement is the only option.

A guide to testing the components is here, you may find it of use.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1x1ojthv4h7925/Troubleshooting 3P PMG & RR.pdf?dl=0

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Seems to be consistently loosing its charge whether connected or not. These are small batteries and so even a good one will loose charge quicker than a car battery.
    most people on here use this;-

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mo...00Efx4WUYcDbOLqhEL3mTEaIqbAQ4MZhoCL94QAvD_BwE

or something like it.
    9 times out of 10 its the battery. Seems like you need a battery tender or a new battery, even with a new battery you will need a tender to keep it tip top.
    Then the regulator/rectifier.
    Then the Stator.

You want to check your ground s to frame,and your connectors ,and wires for shorts, frays,etc.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Scott.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2 (1).gif

b5beb36d6fb6abac6a55ba946f9cabb0.gif

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Your initial description and subsequent battery replacement make me suspect a wiring issue creating a parasitic draw on the battery that is draining it.
    Fuse box and multimeter time and not as scary as it sounds.
    Watch

The idea is easily translated to the fewer circuits of a motorcycle. You can then eliminate everything healthy and hopefully identify the culprit circuit and/or component. If it all checks out then I would suspect the reg/rec which is warm with the engine running (ditching excess generated power) but should cool on switch off unless itself shorting out......and which would likely reveal itself as the problem circuit.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Reg / rec is described as getting warm with the bike is off whilst testing for current draw.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I read that as a bit ambiguous!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog New Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Dorset
    Sorry the reg/rec was warm while the bike was running, i forgot to edit that.
    But thank you

Thank you

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog New Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Dorset
    Thank you, guess its all trial and error

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog New Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Dorset
    Fully charged the battery and put it on the bench to see if any drop arises

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I hate electrical gremlins too because unless it’s sparking you can’t see them!

It is not impossible for the 2nd battery to be defective but you just need to test systematically as you seem to be doing. I have just seen you on the Tiger site and don’t dissent from the contributors there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I agree with @Callumity a systematic approach will provide a better resolution to your problem, just for comparison my T300 lasts nearly 3 months before it needs the battery charging, even though the clock is on permenantly.

• Like Like x 1
  17. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Scotty Dog. First welcome to the Family. I tend to go along the lines OldYam was suggesting rectifier component failure. Hope its not the CDI. But check you don't have a short there somewhere like a split wire tatty joint. And you do sometimes get a duff battery. Stick with it and you will get there.
    Regards
    Joe.

18. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog New Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Dorset
    Thats why we left it on the bench to see if it drops
    I shant, i joined 4 tiger/triumph sites. lol.

Blimey, yes it is painful but were taking it carefully
    Thank you

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Your first battery was goosed, ok.
    I think the second is being scrutinised perhaps too closely.
    Do you have power where you keep the bike?
    If so get an optimate and see how it goes from there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog New Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Dorset
    Yeh we charged it fully mate on sunday, so were letting it sit on the bench to check drop on there

• Agree Agree x 1