2009 Street Triple Clutch Won’t Engage!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Mohamed, Apr 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mohamed

Mohamed New Member

Apr 9, 2020
    USA
    Hey guys, I just bought a used 2009 STR with 17k miles and it rode perfectly for a few hrs and then when I was going home I down shifted from 6 to 4th gear and suddenly I lost all power.. I pulled over and tried shifting, on my dashboard it shows that I am changing gears but even if I let my clutch go the bike doesn't stall and rolling the throttle doesn't move the bike at all. The engine still sounds great, the clutch is tight and pulls and all electrics are fine. Also I did not have any slipping or issues throughout the day until it happened.

Any idea what might fix my bike?

Thanks!

Mo

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Has your drive chain broken?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy Mohamed, and welcome in :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mohamed

Mohamed New Member

Apr 9, 2020
    USA
    Thanks for all of the quick responses guys!

1. if I put the bike into gear when it’s off I can still push the bike with no resistance.

2. I checked the chain and sprockets, they are perfect.

3. I was going 100+ something, but then double shifted down to 4 after slowing down. If I sheared a gear, how can I check that?

Thanks again guys, I’m super excited to be a part of the Triumph family but I am super sad about my bike right now :(

-Mo

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Hi Mo,

That sounds as if you have a serious problem, it could involve a strip of the engine, as a first step try draining the oil and see whether there is any contamination, such as metallic bits which would confirm an internal problem, best of luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mohamed

Mohamed New Member

Apr 9, 2020
    USA
    I drained the oil, it all looked clean, the engine still sounds great and revs, it is just as if it never gets into gear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mohamed

Mohamed New Member

Apr 9, 2020
    USA

Yeah, it still sounds good like it is going into gear.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Stuck clutch plates?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Provided the clutch cable frees off at the end of its travel and allows the clutch springs to clamp the mechanism........

You have to suspect an internal breakage. The crankshaft drive is separated from the gearbox by the clutch. If the engine runs and you can change gear but no drive is transmitted then the clutch itself or the splines on the shaft have sheared.

I would go back to the downshift. Even a violent downshift would much more likely unstick the tyre than break anything but......

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Mohamed

Mohamed New Member

Apr 9, 2020
    USA
    Yeah I can get the tire off of the ground, what would you suggest I try after doing that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mohamed

Mohamed New Member

Apr 9, 2020
    USA
    You know.. now that I think about it, probably 15 minutes before I lost power, my clutch started slipping at higher gears. When I would shift up to 4/5/6 it would rev really high for a second and then calm down.. does that information change anything?

Thanks again everyone!

Mohamed

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Mohamed.
    Welcome to the family. Well check your cable is not screwed right out should have a couple of thou free play at the bars. Then get that cover of you may have striped you clutch plates especially if you have a slipper clutch on there it will have slipped out of the ball bearings. Do keep us all in the know. Also hit the upload a file button bottom right corner and show the inmates your steed.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Sounds like the basket and plates need an overhaul but firstly check the clutch cable routing, especially that it’s not snagged at the ends

14. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Yes. I would say having read that that the clutch needs attention and may have burned out. If your mechanical skills are up to it it’s not a difficult job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Aaah! Now you think about it..........!!!

If you had clutch slip it won’t have gone away on its own. You have adjustment at both ends of the clutch cable. If it is too tight it prevents the clutch springs from clamping the plates in the basket. If it is too loose you cannot free off the clutch enough to change gear. The clunk you get engaging first gear is caused by the drag from the oil film between the plates - enough to cause drag but insufficient to transmit the drive.

It sounds like your cable is too tight. You should aim to have a tiny bit of slack at the lever - maybe 1/8” gap. Plenty of how to YouTube videos.

38C16291-7CF6-4F5D-92DB-07F281B2950C.png

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mohamed

Mohamed New Member

Apr 9, 2020
    USA
    Hey guys, here are a bunch of photos of my clutch plates, and the wear on my clutch basket.

1. Does the wear on the clutch plates look bad?
    2. Does the wear on the clutch basket look bad? I felt across the worn areas and it felt mostly smooth, no deep gouges. should I change it/file it?
    3. Should I take the clutch basket off? is there anything to check behind there?
    4. If I buy new clutch plates, where should I get them from?

Thanks !

moto1.jpeg

moto2.jpeg

moto3.jpeg

moto4.jpeg

moto5.jpeg

moto6.jpeg

moto7.jpeg

moto8.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mohamed

Mohamed New Member

Apr 9, 2020
    USA
    I will definitely look into loosening the clutch, but while I have it open and see that these clutch plates look pretty worn, do you think I should replace them?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    #18 Yorkshireman, Apr 11, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Good job on the bike there Mo. The clutch basket looks fine, those marks are to be expected on the inner and outer sections. As long as there are no deep grooves I’d leave it as it is. If you file anything down to remove any grooves you will end up with too much clearance when the plates are put back in and it will lead to premature wear of the new clutch.
    The friction plates look worn out from your picture and need changing. It’s critical to put them back in the right order so I hope you took notice of how they were originally fitted, (assuming they were right in the first place) and you must soak them in oil overnight before fitting them. As long as the steel plates show no signs of overheating or warpage they should be fine.
    Oh, and your bike needs a good clean and maybe a new rear tyre :cool:
    Best of luck.
    Ps. I wouldn’t go any further with the dismantling as there’s nothing behind the clutch basket that should need attention. Just spin the inner section to ensure it runs free with no nasty grating or grinding sounds and you should be good to go. The outer section is driven from the crank and the gear teeth look good in the picture.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You might have adjusted the problem out but I agree you now need new plates and springs as Yorkshireman advises. YouTube is your friend!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mohamed

Mohamed New Member

Apr 9, 2020
    USA
    Hey guys, do I need a gasket for the clutch cover? When I took it off there was no sign if any gasket. If so, what is that part called?

(see image)

thanks again for all of the help, I’ll keep you all posted on if new clutch frictions and cable adjustment fix it.

Mohamed

A7F06FD9-27B9-4915-BE18-6A84165DDF32.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1