2009 Speedmaster Efi Wont Crank Over Just Click

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Bobble26, Jan 24, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bobble26

Bobble26 New Member

Jan 24, 2020
    barrow-in-furness
    Hello I hope someone can help, as i have read as many forums as i can but no joy.
    I have a 2009 Speedmaster EFI, which won't start. when i press the starter button i get just one click from the starter solenoid, then nothing for about 20 seconds, then another click from the ECU relay and then I can get another press and the same one click.
    I have checked the battery and 12.8v, I have also tried to jump start using another bike, and showing 13.4 volts, just the same. so kind of thinking not battery. I have fitted new starter motor, along with starter solenoid and change over relay. if I bypass the change over relay, and press the button I can get the bike to crank, but no spark. when I turn on the bike, the fuel pump will prime.
    I have checked the engine earth, cleaned it and replaced. all ECU connections look clean and good.
    bike is on center stand, and in neutral, kill switch in run position.
    i think i have checked every thing, but must be missing something so any suggestions gratefully received

2. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    History? how long have you had it, when did problem start, but it could be an ECU issue so diagnostics could be helpful.

3. Bobble26

Bobble26 New Member

Jan 24, 2020
    barrow-in-furness
    had the bike about 18 months, the starting issues about 2 months ago. I have plug a Diagnostics computer in and showing no faults.
    when the problem started I was just going out for a ride, pushed the button and nothing, I only rode the bike the day before.

4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    It sounds pretty ‘dead’ but the actuation of the relays suggests healthy connectivity - not least a spinning motor if you bypass the change over. It also sounds like you have combed the clutch, sidestand and neutral switch cutouts and excluded their influence.

Have you tested for battery voltage at either coil ignition on? If you have none it directly suggests an ECU failure and if you are getting battery voltage but still no spark I would also tend to point to the ECU not chopping power and firing the coils. It is highly unlikely both coils would die simultaneously on a 270 degree motor.

There is no test for the ECUs except by substitution. Know any local owners who help? Otherwise your next punt is a new ECU. If eBay cannot help your cheapest/best new option is TriumpTwinPower
    https://www.triumphtwinpower.com/fire-starter-performance-igniter-unit.php
    Cheapest = Least expensive not ‘cheap’!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

• Like Like x 2
  6. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I'll bet it turns out to be the battery, irrespective of what your battery is telling you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    So am I misreading the inability to accept a jump charge?

8. tim8061

tim8061 Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Gloucester
    What is a change over relay and what does it do?

9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    A relay is an electrically actuated switch. You can use a light current to connect a powerful one. Think amps not volts or volume v. speed of flow, if that helps.
    Most bikes use a light handlebar current from the starter button to energise the heavy starter current via a relay. Part of the same circuit often then uses another relay to switch off the ‘always on’ headlight to provide max power to the starter motor. At the basic level all relays are ‘changeover’ but there are variations in configuration, type, purpose etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. tim8061

tim8061 Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Gloucester
    TVM but I was asking specifically what the change over relay is/does wrt the starter circuit. Never heard of it in that context so was wondering what the OP meant by "shorting the change over relay" and then pressing the button spins the motor. Is the Speedmaster starting circuit completely different to "normal" where the starter button energises the starter relay which powers the starter motor and spins the engine?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    ......with you. No, just the same. Cosmetics aside the only material difference is the 270 degree engine which necessitates 2 ignition coils with ECU map/wiring to match.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    #12 Tricky-Dicky, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    The fact that if your eliminating the relay and the starter motor spins yet you say you replaced the relay???? its starting to sound like an ECU problem as if the relay is bypassed there is no spark so as i dont know the circuit diagram does the relay also have a feedback to the ECU so if not actuated there is no power to the ignition circuit.

However i would first check the battery state when the starter is engaged as despite the voltage showing it can still fail to deliver the required amps when cranking.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    When the solenoid clicks i.e. system on load, what is the battery voltage then?

Static voltage off load tells very little of its ability and a dud battery provided with a jump start doesnt always work either.

14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I agree that voltage numbers are misleading to the point of being unhelpful. I always favour jumping off a car battery (engine off) where you get stacks of amps and no chance of a car alternator frying the bike’s circuits. I still remember a friend coasting home on his smoking Matchless having done a quick fix with bell wire that was melting about his knees........

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    On the air-cooled Bonnys the ECU will not attempt a start if the voltage (at the time of starter activation) is less than 12.6v. So when attempting the start the voltage will dip and if the battery is worn out it will dip to 6v or even less.

I concur with others that a known good car battery and quality jumper cables are what's needed. If it starts with that lot you know it's the battery.

• Like Like x 1
  16. tim8061

tim8061 Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Gloucester
    Are you sure that's when cranking? Sounds more like static voltage tbh because when cranking the voltage will go down to around 10v on any fully charged battery. Less than 10v is definitely a problem though.

17. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I'm sure that the figure of 12.6v is in the ECU; however can't confirm whether that is static voltage or when attempting to crank. The reason why I'm being careful with my answer is that from bitter personal experience I had battery trouble on my 2010 T100. It would show static 12.6/7v which should be enough, but under load (when attempting to use the starter motor) the voltage would drop to something like 6v which obviously meant the battery was buggered. Bought a new one, charged it up and never had any further problems.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Do you know anyone with a bike who you can borrow their battery off and put it in your bike ? The reason I'm saying that is because with your bike being 10/11 years old, it could be at the end of life of it's second battery.
    Or as said, link up to a car battery.

19. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Andy, it's been my experience with bike batteries that because they are so small they don't last anywhere near that of an average car battery. Even with regular charging I reckon on changing a bike battery every 4 yrs-ish.

20. Bobble26

Bobble26 New Member

Jan 24, 2020
    barrow-in-furness
    no the bike is defo cranking, when I bypass the relay. the voltage is 13.4 volt before i press the button, which is read on the diagnostic computer so it will be coming from the ECU. when i press the button it is only a split second before it trips out so cant get a reading. I would love it to be the battery, but I have had a good car battery on it and another bike with jump leads and also the bike battery removed, so I would hope it's not the battery, but after what i have read can not 100 % say it's not the battery. the only thing that puzzles me is that the fuel pump will run when you first turn the bike on, normally I would expect that to not run if it was some sort of cut out fault