2009 Speed Triple Went Dead

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Satch, Oct 11, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Satch

Satch New Member

Oct 11, 2021
    Las Vegas
    Hi Guys,
    I have a 2009 Speed Triple I just bought used, had a broken starter gear shaft, I fixed it and put in a new starter, she ran fine, but I took it on a ride and after about 30 minutes, it just died, all the indicator lights all were still working but it wouldn't turn over, Not even a click from the relay. I got it home and found the started was shorted, and checked everything, fuses, relays and switches, all good, but can't get voltage to the starter lead, I am buying a new starter and hope that does something but don't know why everything in the circuit looks dead, I have voltage to the relay but nothing out. and I can't figure out why it just died?
    HELP!!

2. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    if you have power to the relay and no power out from the relay .then the relay has shorted out ,try a new relay. if you have power out of the relay and nothing at the starter motor than you have a short between the relay down to the starter. if you put a new relay in and it shorts out you have a wire shorting out some where between the relay and the starter motor you can check continuity with a motel meter on the wires to see if they are not shorting out

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. Satch

Satch New Member

Oct 11, 2021
    Las Vegas
    Thanks Jadorff,
    The relay isn't clicking, I ohmed out all the wires and they all seem fine, I have a few more checks to do, but the only thing shorted is the starter itself that I can find, but I'll keep checking

4. NYCSpeedTriple

NYCSpeedTriple New Member

Jan 12, 2022
    USA-New York
    what ended up being the culprit?

5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Another who asked for help , got it , found the fault/problem and rode away ...
    No reply or thanks necessary ....

Apparently ... !

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. NYCSpeedTriple

NYCSpeedTriple New Member

Jan 12, 2022
    USA-New York
    Thanks