Welcome to The Triumph Forum

The World's busiest Triumph Forum. Join this amazing group of people and start discussing the thing that we all love, Triumph Motorcycles.

Featured 2008 Bonnie T100 First Impressions (from Riders With Various Ideas Of What Makes A Good Bike)

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Dozers Dad, Jul 20, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

Hi Folks,

I thought I'd share my 1st impressions of Annie (my 2008 T100)

Plus the opinions of a 71yr old big kid & a 28yr old boy who knows nothing :p
    Please bear in mind that opinions are like arse-holes. Everybody has one!

Here a bit of background info....
    After a serious accident in 2005. My riding these days is very limited to say the least. If I do 500 miles in a year I've done well.
    After the accident I was left with 2 choices.

1) Quit bikes (Never an option!)
    2) Accept that I could no longer ride fast or chuck a large heavy bike around.

I'm a fairly big fella (6' 1" & approx 17st) So the idea of a light 125cc bike would never have worked. So I've stuck with large bikes but always struggled with their weight.

Ok, my review of Annie....
    WOW! WOW! & erm.... WOW! :grinning:
    For a bike that weighs approx 225kg wet. You would never guess?
    If somebody had told me she weighs 50kg less? I wouldn't have doubted it for a moment.
    She is sooooo easy to ride at sensible speeds! :grinning:
    Her brakes, whilst not fierce are adequate for the job & the suspension at both ends is fine. Not exactly sophisticated but compliant & never gets out of shape even on our pothole riddled roads. She turns sedately & predictably. I guess that is in part down to her 19" front wheel?
    It kinda reminds me of a large 4 stroke semi off roader? (Very similar to a 1989 KLR650 I used to own)

Annie has enough power to feel like your riding a proper motorcycle. Without being intimidating
    I was deliberately looking for the "snatch" from the fuel injection that I've read about. I'm please to report that the snatch is conspicuous by its absence! :)

I had the first one of no doubt many brushes with a nostalgic pensioner today. He was delighted to hear that Triumph are making bikes again. I got to hear all about his old Brit bikes.
    You don't get that when you ride a GSXR1000. Maybe you think that's a good thing? :kissing:but I enjoyed our conversation :)

All in all, I'm very impressed & Annie is a keeper! :grinning:

Ok, now the opinion of my mate aka the 28yr old child who knows nothing :p

...."It ain't as bad as I was expecting? It does feel light & fairly flicky. If you value nostalgia over decent brakes, power & an ability to go around a corner? I can see the attraction. Maybe I'll get one when I'm as old as you?!?"....

I guess his review could have been a lot worse? :kissing:
    He's still a know nothing whipper-snapper! :rolleyes: :p

Now the review from my 71yrs young (going on 17) Father-in-law.
    He owns/rides a 2001 Fireblade & a Bandit 1200.
    Asking his opinion is always a risky process. You have to be prepared to accept whatever he has to say. Otherwise don't bother to ask for his opinion!

...."It reminds me of my old Tiger 110. It wallows in corners at speed (90mph apparently :eek:) The brakes are barely adequate & if you try to counter steer it? It tips in way too quickly!....... AND I LOVE IT! It was a great trip down memory lane."....

I was pleased with that review :grinning:However, I did remind him that it wasn't designed with hooligans like him in mind. I also reckon that if I'd been able to offer him a go in 1960 something? He'd have seen how much better Annie is than his Tiger 110.
    Trouble is, he's forgotten all about the Tiger 110 & he's now comparing her with a 180mph Japanese rocket.

If your thinking of buying a T100 or standard Bonnie? I hope this brief review was helpful?

PS... Stop thinking about & buy one. You'll not regret it :grinning:

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Crème de la Crème

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    I'd go along with that Jez. Going slow was an awful lot easier than I thought it would be. Smashing little things and feel far closer to the old Bonnie (I had a '78 T140) than the water cooled ones. Proper modern(ish) retro :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Elite Member
    Subscriber

Aug 17, 2014
    Grampian.
    Great review, and even nicer to know your happy with your new purchase. Heres to many enjoyable miles.
    Since your giving out shots, can I put my name on the list.before some of the hooligans on here?

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf GRRRRRR
    Subscriber

Mar 30, 2017
    Washington Tyne & Wear
    :cool: Good stuff Jez glad that Annie is floating your boat :grinning:
    And I wasn’t sure that these twin cylinder machines would suit me after all them years of screaming multis :eek:
    But and it’s a big BUT....I have found myself trying to find excuses just to get out for a ride when I can or messing around in the garage doing stuff that doesn’t really need doing :)
    Parallel twins :cool:
    It’s the future :p

• Like Like x 3
  5. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

Yes of course you can have a go mate. What time shall I expect you? I'll have a brew ready :p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3
    Subscriber

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I remember riding a scrambler and t100 back to back. Both the 865 fuel injection models. Loved the sound of the scrambler with its 270° crank but when I got on the bonnie it was a world apart! Smoother, better brakes and managed to hit 100! Was a lovely bike to ride, saying that I had a go on the new water cooled scrambler and I would rate that bike way above the 865 scrambler. Probably on par with the air cooled t100. Really is a lovely bike

• Like Like x 2
  7. Callumity

Callumity Noble Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Are you on standard suspension? Front end a bit pogo stick and back end wallowy ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

Yes but it's fine for me Callumity.

All that talk about needing to upgrade the suspension is bollo#ks!
    Just add a 17st salad dodger & the suspension is so compressed. It doesn't get a chance to unload. Hence no pogo stick effect or wallowing! :blush:

My Father-in-law is 5' 6" & approx 11st soaking wet. He mentioned wallowing at speed. My 28yr old mate is my weight & 2" taller. He would have ridden Annie harder than my Father-in-law did. Yet no mention of poor quality suspension? His mention of her not cornering like his sports bike. Was down to a lack of ground clearance & skinny tyres.

For all of you thinking of spending £100's on suspension upgrades?
    Save your money.
    Just consume more fry-ups, cake & beer! :cool:

• Like Like x 7
  9. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman First Class Member
    Subscriber

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Glad you like your new bike Jez, I can see myself on one in a few years time when I’m fed up of the triple (long way off yet). I had a Scrambler on demo last year( bit weedy if I’m honest but slow steady fun) and a T120 this year which I loved. It was comfy (I’m also 6”1’ but have had a few less cakes :p) and would pick it’s skirt up when provoked without having to rev it. The handling was nice and neutral at sensible speeds which is what the bike is designed for, if you want to fly about get a bike to suit, the bonnie is for cruisin not thrashin. I go to Belgium in two weeks on my speedie and a lad with a T120 is coming with us and I’m kinda jealous cos I know he’s gonna have a blast. Like you he had a bad accident in 2005 ( badly burned in a fire) and he has limited mobility in his left leg but he’s adapted the gearshift and does very well. The only fly in the ointment is the quality of the finish on some of the newer ones. The bike I had last week was a 67 plate with less than 2000 miles on and had rusty spokes. Ok it’s a dealer demo and won’t have been cleaned and dried and loved like it should but there are a lot of stories on here about poor quality finish. We’ll see. Ride safe.

• Like Like x 1
  10. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Camelford & Sevenoaks
    As you say DD, your annual mileage is very low! Try riding a couple of hundred miles continuous and I think you would be the phone to the likes of Hagon on your return?:(
    When I bought my SE two years ago, like you thought it was great, after a few months it becomes apparent that Triumph really skimped on the suspenders and braking componentso_O
    Thats when the upgrades start, eventually the rose tinted glasses no longer work
    So much so, that I have sold the SE this week.
    Now an owner of a brand new KTM 790 Scalpel....... now that is a real parallel twin.

Incoming!:mad:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Get him lads!....
    9f0257473193c20c9c4c9a45bcc02c51_XL.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. Smilinjack

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    Know what you mean Monty. The shock absorbers seem more shock than absorber to me. Brought back memories of my old rigid chopper! Ooer missus :scream:

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

I found that Annies suspension was set to position 4 on the left shock & position 2 on the right hand shock. Presumably in error by the previous owner?
    I set both to position 3 (the halfway point)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Smilinjack

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    Maybe he was a bit left leaning :grinning:. Set mine at 3 to start, were on 5 but it's the dampers where the fault seems to lie :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Callumity

Callumity Noble Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You might think so but I found progressives in the front just made it less jarring over poor surfaces and basic Tecs at the back made it less wallowy. I am not that much lighter than you and it was a worthwhile £180 all up. My bony backside is now pleading for something like a Burton DS0003.

16. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Camelford & Sevenoaks
    Could be to compensate for the Top Box;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  18. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

I guess there's a chance that the previous owner fitted progressive springs but failed to mention it?
    The rear shocks look like the standard Triumph items to me?

I might have a cure for you boney bum? Check out my recent post in the clothing/gadgets for sale section.

19. Smilinjack

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    Got my eye on one. Also really authentic old style look. :)

20. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Camelford & Sevenoaks
    Jeez that seat looks like a leather clad commode!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1