2008 @ 20k Miles

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Tratch, Aug 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tratch

Tratch Active Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Hey all.

I remember reading a while back that this vintage ST3 (my fave) needs a specific thing sorted in the engine around this mileage. Think it was something other than the usual valve gaps / bearing checks.

Thoughts on what needs checking / looking at around now engine wise? What’s considered hi-mileage for this motor?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Hiya

20 thousand miles is nothing for the 1050 motor, if its been kept in good order, ive seen them still going strong with 60k plus on buddy.
    The valve clearances should of already been checked at 12k and again at 24k.
    Thats about all i know

• Like Like x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Tratch.
    Other than valves there is not much else perhaps sprag gear but you would know if it was noisy or missing. Pretty stable motor capable of four five time that mileage with regular services.
    Regards
    Joe.

4. Tratch

Tratch Active Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Cheers chaps. Will dig into the service history to confirm if done. It’s my second return to the ST3 after some other bikes, my first was another 08 many years ago.

Will do a full service / coolant / brakes just as matter of fact but indies nicely and pulls strong so no immediate worries.

5. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Dont know what it is about these speed triples mate, had loads of bikes and always seem to come back to them.
    I regret selling my 06 speedy and I've never regretted selling any other. Haha
    Refresh everything and definitely invest in an optimate.

6. Tratch

Tratch Active Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Running an Lithium battery which helps but yeh have a Genius charger on the go too.

7. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    The only thing I can think of would be the cam chain tensioner, but these motors don’t seem to suffer like some Japanese (Honda) engines. Maybe the crank case breather??

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tratch

Tratch Active Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Great shout. Added to list.

• Cheers Cheers x 1