2007 Triumph Speed Triple - Smell Of Raw Gas

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Night Train, Feb 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Night Train

Night Train New Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Southern California
    I have a 2007 Speed Triple with about 24,000 miles on it. At times, I notice the smell of raw gas. I don't see any leaks and obviously haven't had a fire.

It's not a constant smell, but I've noticed it when the bike is sitting or it's hot out. It's an intermittent problem. I also sometimes notice it when coming to stop. When that happens, I notice the bike has difficulty idling, almost as if it is flooded. I've had an ongoing issue with idling and rideability, but that's another issue.

What could be the cause of the smell of gas. Thanks!

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Well, the obvious, and most sarcastic answer is that the smell is petrol (gasoline). :rolleyes: But you’ll have to check thoroughly for signs of where it’s coming from. As you are having idling and other riding issues I’d be tempted to suggest your problem lies with the idling control system, and or, the fuel injection system in general. Does your bike have some sort of emission control as you live in California, does that need attention? Is the problem evident after refuelling, is the filler cap sealing properly, are the fuel lines to the injectors all in good order. Lift the front of the fuel tank and switch the ignition on. Watch closely as the fuel system is pressurised for any leaks. Is the air filter clean, I’ve just looked at mine and after only 7000 miles it’s pretty dirty so I’m changing it. Are you using the correct map for the exhaust or any other mods you have on the bike.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Night Train

Night Train New Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Southern California
    Thanks for the response. I will check the above.