2007 Tiger 1050 Initialization / Starting Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Craig Dobbs, Dec 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Craig Dobbs

Craig Dobbs New Member

Dec 29, 2019
    San Diego CA USA
    Hi - new to the Forum but not Triumph. I'm experiencing my first "real issue" with my 2007 Tiger 1050 (it has been spectacular, only routine maintenance and wear replacement over the many years).

When I turn the ignition key, the headlight and dash lights come on, but the gauges don't sweep and fuel pump doesn't initialize for ~20 seconds (see video link below).

I bought the bike from a friend (original owner) back in 2011 and the only "oddity" from the beginning was that occasionally the instrument cluster would "reset"/gauges would sweep at random times while riding , but with no disruption to operation. And the instrument cluster turn signal LED is not working. Other than that, its been brilliant.

I tried the basics
    - I replaced the battery, no impact (and I keep it on a trickle charger)
    - Did my best to check all connections and look for exposed wires and poor grounds, etc, nothing

If I ride the bike for +5 minutes and turn it off, then restart it, it immediately initializes and there is no delay starting. If it sits for +1 hour, the bad behavior returns. Its bonkers.

I took it to a local dealer for troubleshooting.
    - They swapped in their battery, no improvement
    - They checked the wiring, relays, etc, no improvement.
    - They swapped in an ECU from an '09 but still experienced the delay
    - The "check engine light" code is for low voltage

The only additional guidance they gave was maybe the issue is with the instrument cluster itself?

Any advice APPRECIATED!! Cheers,
    \Craig

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gasanders

gasanders Member

Oct 19, 2017
    new hampshire
    hi i have the exact same issue with mine...what was the answer on yours?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Craig Dobbs

Craig Dobbs New Member

Dec 29, 2019
    San Diego CA USA
    I haven’t solved it yet!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gasanders

gasanders Member

Oct 19, 2017
    new hampshire
    More recently the bike wont initiate upon turning on the key and can stay that way for a while as i jiggle and shake things...the suddenly it spools up...and when it does the bike starts up strong...but then dash goes out again....charging system is showing 14.6 volts when this happens and the bike doesnt shut down. frankly if it wasnt for the starting issue I could probably live with the intermittant sweeping of the dash but when i shut it down there is no guarantee that it will fire back up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Craig Dobbs

Craig Dobbs New Member

Dec 29, 2019
    San Diego CA USA
    I have 2 other bikes so I’ve just been riding those. From reading other threads, the clutch and side stand switches *may* be at fault, also there could be some corrosion in the gauge cluster. I just haven’t been motivated to track it all down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gasanders

gasanders Member

Oct 19, 2017
    new hampshire
    Hi Craig. I have confirmed that with the key off, the dash is drawing down the battery.significantly..my thought is some wiring after the dash is the culprit and not the dash itself...need to trace it back. let me know if you have come up with anything thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gasanders

gasanders Member

Oct 19, 2017
    new hampshire
    Hi craig....any luck? I have traced all wires and found nothing to deal with the intermittant nature of this problem...may plug in a replacement ECU to see if that helps..let me know thanks Gregg

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    An observation not an answer.

The needle sweep is a feature of the instruments powering up and NOT the ECU itself. Logically that would suggest random re-sweeps are a result of a poor power connection to or within the instrument cluster which may have knock on effects downstream within the circuit. That would be consistent with the unsuccessful checks thus far.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Craig Dobbs

Craig Dobbs New Member

Dec 29, 2019
    San Diego CA USA
    No luck yet. I took apart the gauge cluster and did't note anything unusual. A sprayed it with a circuit board cleaner and reassembled it. My turn signal LED is working again so the "cleaning" did something. The problem remains intermittent. My voltage t the battery is low so I just ordered a new one.

I was also told that using the "kill switch" instead of turning of the motor with the key can cause issues with the idle stepper motor resetting (the "modem sound" the electronics make). I have been exclusively using the kill switch to turn off the motor - but will now only use the key.

Will keep the thread posted when its solved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Craig, have you cleaned (with switch cleaner) the clutch, side stand and kill switches ???

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Craig Dobbs

Craig Dobbs New Member

Dec 29, 2019
    San Diego CA USA
    Hey TheBigLad -
    Thank you for your reply! When I disassembled the gauge cluster and hit it with circuit board cleaner, I did the same with the sidestand switch, and the kill switch and clutch switch, but i did NOT disassemble the kill switch or the clutch switch, just tried to carefully work the spray inside and then '"toggle" the switches. I should have time to disassemble them for a good clean this weekend.
    \Craig

• Like Like x 2
  12. gasanders

gasanders Member

Oct 19, 2017
    new hampshire
    here is where I stand with mine..and i apologize in advance for the lack of technical expertise...but i do have a mechanic helping me. Under the seat near the battery is what appears to be a switch or relay box with a bunch of wires going into it. this "switch" was making clicking sounds that would result in the tach fully sweeping like it should...and then it would click off...and then click on and stay on.....and without shaking anything it would click off and the dash would only stay partially lit.

My hypothesis is that this "switch"..which i think sends power to the fuel pump...is malfunctioning...power is getting to the "switch" but the switch isnt doing what it should

my other hypothesis is that power is intermittently reaching the switch...when it does reach it all is good...but then power doesnt reach it and it causes the dash to go out...and then it reaches it again and it works. my problem with this theory is that we cant find any loose or broken connection.....this thing will act up without moving or touching anything...which i think points to my earlier theory.

im sorry i cant identify the "switch by name but it makes an audible click which then spools up the fuel injection system and along with it the dash board sweeps like it should. The video that shows how this happened with the dash is exactly what is happenning with mine....turn on key...some lights but no initialization...20 seconds later.... or longer...it suddennly spools up...but sometimes its not 20 seconds!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Craig Dobbs

Craig Dobbs New Member

Dec 29, 2019
    San Diego CA USA
    I believe the switch you're referring to is the Starter Solenoid (T1310120).
    You've explained my situation exactly, including the sequence of "clicks and noises"

I recently cleaned the "kill" and "clutch" switches (at the handlebars), installed a new 14 size battery, and also a Stoltec Moto starter wire upgrade kit.

Unfortunately I'm still experiencing the same issues.......

Maybe the the Starter Solenoid?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gasanders

gasanders Member

Oct 19, 2017
    new hampshire
    We are going to take a look...but i see some logic to it

• Like Like x 1
  15. Craig Dobbs

Craig Dobbs New Member

Dec 29, 2019
    San Diego CA USA
    Just checked the sequence out in the garage.
    Turn the key
    - Gauge cluster backlight
    - Oil LED illuminates (red)
    - Headlight
    - Running lights
    - Front turn indicator lights
    -Tail light
    - License plate light
    At 1:20 minutes
    - Tach sweeps
    - Gauges initialize
    - Check engine LED illuminates (yellow)
    At 1:23 minutes
    - Starter solenoid "clicks"
    Depress starter button, Tiger fired right up

So why the 80 second delay?

16. gasanders

gasanders Member

Oct 19, 2017
    new hampshire
    hi folks. this issue continues to puzzle me. Having not found a smoking gun related to a bad ground, or burnt wire I asked a triumph tech. He kind of shrugged his shoulders and said that they have replaced entire wiring harnesses as a way to resolve issues like this, that they cant find easily.

Given that the bike will suddenly spool up without touching it or shaking wires seems to indicate that we are on the fine line of just enough voltage to make everything work.

Does anyone think going with a 14 series battery along with really looking at the battery cables or replacing them could be the answer?

17. Legion810

Legion810 New Member

Jul 6, 2020
    Flint
    I also am experiencing the same issue with 07 speed triple 1050. everything y'all are describing is happening to me. I have tried cleaning all my contacts within my fuse box with no different result.thinking of trying and after market cluster

18. gasanders

gasanders Member

Oct 19, 2017
    new hampshire
    The advice I've been given is to replace the entire wiring harness as they run hot and fry wires such that it's impossible to stay ahead of it even if you find a bad connection or 2

19. Craig Dobbs

Craig Dobbs New Member

Dec 29, 2019
    San Diego CA USA
    I replaced the wiring harness but unfortunately it did not solve the problem. Used Tiger OEM clusters seem very hard to come by. I'm trying to determine if a "same year" cluster from a Speed Triple is compatible (or a Street Triple or Daytona).

If you find an aftermarket cluster that's an "easy" swap, let us know!

Good luck!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Legion810

Legion810 New Member

Jul 6, 2020
    Flint
    07 speed triple 1050 what is this empty plug for?

20200706_192534.jpg