2007 America Exhaust Pipes Recommendations?

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by james.e.avery, Nov 11, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. james.e.avery

james.e.avery New Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Cambridge
    Hi guys,

Are there any road legal exhaust pipes for the 2007 America which sound good? The official Triumph ones appear to be "Not fit for road use".

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

J

2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Buy the non-road legal triumph pipes and don't worry about it !!!! Passed MOT with mine on, never been stopped for a non-legal exhaust. On my previous bike, I had the tiniest of race cans, was so loud I had to run with the baffle in or my ears buzzed for an hour after riding it, even when wearing earplugs - never got stopped, never failed an MOT !!!!

Have you heard how loud Panigale's are with a legal can !!!!

Has anybody ever been stopped and tested ? Or police done you ? Small number plates, asking for trouble, but non-legal cans !!!!!

Short TOR's are my weapon of choice, beautiful sound, well rounded and meaty burble. Glorious.

• Like Like x 2
  3. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    +1 on what Mr Orange says.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    + 2 on what Mr Orange says,

• Like Like x 1
  5. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    Short tors on mine:D:D
    Andy

• Like Like x 1
  6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    #6 capt, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    Here in OZ you pretty much get left alone with loud pipe's, you have really upset a copper who's having a bad day to start with before you get 'canary' sticker, cops put a yellow defective vehicle sticker on car's & bike's if they think your not roadworthy. They hassle the Harley boy's more for excessively noisy pipe's than anyone else !
    I run 'foran' short slash cut pipes on my bike, they are probably 10 decibels over, so quite a bit too loud but never been stopped for excessively noisy pipe's, been pulled over @ random breath testing & no mention of excessive !!

foranexhaust.com.au in Gosford New South Wales. Australian company they do some wicked exhaust systems and mufflers.

7. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello Jay, you say you want road legal replacement pipes but they need to sound better than the std Triumph pipes you currently have? That's a tall order. Why are you bothered about them being road-legal, nobody cares unless they are really daft loud?

Most modern after-market pipes have removable baffles so you can adjust the sound level to your liking - what they won't have is the stamp on the pipes to show they are BSI or EU approved. The reasons are that the testing to be able to permit this marking is very expensive and most of the marketplace want louder pipes.

I put after-market pipes on from this firm and they sounded perfect:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...ion-exhaust-/391387145090?hash=item5b207de382

If you look through their site you'll find loads of styles plus lots of different baffle design to tailor-make the sound to your requirements.

8. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    On the short tors I had, The Not for Road Use could be taken straight off with a little solvol Autosol,
    So no problem for mot or plod, plus there not stupidly loud

9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Yes Tez I get that but if the OP (Jay) wants his new pipes to be truly 'road legal' then I believe (??) that the pipes MUST be stamped to show they are homologated for road use.

It really depends how stuck he is on the idea of 'road legal'.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    #10 TEZ 217, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    That's a shame means nobody will ever hear him approaching,or pay any attention !!
    You'll definitely need a louder road legal horn , :D:D:D

• Like Like x 2
  11. Tomo

Tomo Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Birmingham
    What Mr Orange said......
    There is an added advantage to short TOR's - easy access for lubing and adjusting the chain and I suspect you can remove the rear wheel without having to whip your pipes off too.
    Don't get hung up about them technically not being 'road legal' that might be down to the fact they don't have catalytic converters in as much as the increase in volume.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    What about insurance???
    We all know that insurance companies try to wriggle out of pay-outs if they can. I'm sure they could use the 'not for road use' as an excuse not to pay out........

13. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    How? In what way could louder pipes contribute to any accident?? Faulty electrics , lights etc. No brakes bad tyre's. But a louder lighter exhaust ?!?!?

14. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    If your bike has equipment on that's not for road use then it's MOT is void which means it isn't roadworthy which means you're not insured which means 80% of triumph owners are possibly going to strip all those parts off their bikes tonight, not!!

15. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    I assume you're responding to my post............
    I didn't say loud pipes could contribute to an accident.

16. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Under that guise then a lot of cars aren't MOT 'd. As it's now illegal to fit tyre's that don't meet the manufacturers standards! If car comes with 180 or 220 kph rated tyre's and you put same size etc but the speed rating doesn't comply. Is lower. Your car isn't Road worthy as the car can exceed the tyre's speed rating ! Do the insurance companies void car insurance. No! To many customer's do it...!

17. alex74

alex74 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Marden, Kent
    Sorry to hijack this convo, but I always wondered why short coctail shakers have flat metal bars screwed/attached to them ? what is the purpose of that ?

18. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    They're brackets to attach to the bike to give support to exhaust. The flat bars can be cut to length and drilled to suit.

19. alfie92

alfie92 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Birkenhead Merseyside
    20161214_144211.jpg
    Fitted the short tor's today, sound and look great.

20161214_144211.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  20. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Should be supplied with the bike. If Ducati can sell the Panigale with that can on it, Triumph could sell an America with TOR's fitted (or even just supplied).

Just have to wait and see if we get a new America or not ??????

• Like Like x 1