Vintage Tiger 2006 Triumph Tiger - Review of my latest bike.

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by thebiglad, Jul 10, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #1 thebiglad, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    Thought I might share this for those interested in buying a Tiger.

Background: I was only interested in the 955 and found out that there were some important changes throughout the life of this model.

2004 - change of swingarm and chain tension method; option of alloy wheels

2005-ish - change of engine cases; change of backlash thingy to do with clutch - not sure how important this is, but I decided I would get the latest spec 955 I could afford, so this is the version I bought.

So to the review. I'm a big, heavy bloke so please take this into account when you read my comments.

Engine - an absolute peach! I ride very gentle, on A roads about 100kph (roughly 60mph) and the availability of torque even in 6th for overtakes is just great. She pulls smoothly in 6th from 2000rpm (roughly 30mph) right up to as fast as you want to go. However if you 'encourange' her through the gears she feels really quick - no, not as quick as a Hyabusa/GSXR thingamejig - but much more than fast enough. Fuel consumption? Don't know yet but suspect it'll be easily 50mpg as she floats along so easily.

Suspension/handling/steering - the ride quality is the very best I've experienced. I don't know if the previous owner did any modifications but honestly the ride is almost 'magic carpet' like. Control with suppleness.
    Handling and steering - I've got new Dunlop 'Trail Smart' tyres on and the steering is so nice nice - completely neutral - light without being over quick. Going through a series of bends with undulating and or broken surface she is so reassuring and stable. Encourages attacking the corners style riding ;););). Overall very comfortable and reassuring.

Gearbox - a little stiff to change gear when cold, gets a bit better when warm but still requires position prodding. No false neutrals found.

Body/cockpit - idiot lights are pretty useless in sunshine, I will need to change them for LED versons if possible. Screen - mine has a slightly larger ERMAX touring screen - ABSOLUTE CRAP !!! All it does is to generate large amounts of turbulence and noise. Removed it before riding away from the sellers garage it was that bad. Currently riding with no screen and MUCH quieter. My bike has had the headlight relay mod done, so both headlights are on when in dip or main beam modes. Mirrors work really well for me.

As you can see in the pics my bike has the Triumph matching paniers and topcase. The rhs panier is pretty useless due to the exhaust pipe, but the lhs one is good and the topcase will be very useful for longer distance work.
    P1050323.JPG

Altogether the first impressions are very favourable. I didn't expect her to be this good, to be honest.

• Like Like x 4
  2. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    You must be busy doing things to your new purchase, as we all do, well what are you doing to it then?

• Like Like x 1
  3. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I know this is wrong, but I've only ridden her twice since picking her up on Friday - been too busy with new house stuff and today out to lunch with friends.

The first thing she needs is a good wash !

4. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Is that all!!!

5. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    #5 PETER CLARKE, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    Dave,Lovely looking bike, gear changes will that be a oil issue ?? you must be over the moon with your purchase and getting back on 2 wheels, hope you have some good weather for some nice rides out, be safe.

6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Pete, a few months ago I bought 2 x 4ltr cans of Mobil 1 specially formulated for Triumph bike engine oil (7€ apiece!!). That'll be going in this week.

7. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Nice one Dave only the best, hope this will be the only thing it needs to get them smooth gear changes.

8. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    PS I know you are going to do the filter as well.

9. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Oh really Peter, I hadn't thought about that ;);););):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  10. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    That's a difficult one, I bet all will be changed and the plugs

11. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Glad I reminded you then:) good these forums:p.

• Like Like x 1
  12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Lovely bike Dave - bet you are well pleased.
    Good to see you back on 2 wheels again! :D:D.

13. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    And he never took my advice on waiting till winter to get bike at that bargain price.

14. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    It never happens mate - not with Triumphs!

15. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Could not of imagined Dave would have of waited anyway, could you:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  16. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Dave you mentioned sellers garage was it a Dealer or private sale, really looks in good condition for 9yrs old.

17. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Peter, I bought it from the Triumph dealer in Limoges. It's a 1 owner from new bike and the bloke who had it before me traded it in for a Tiger 800.

Happy Days.................................

18. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Have you got a warranty on it then ?

19. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Is the 800 a better bike ?

20. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme