Vintage Tiger 2006 Tiger 955i - front brakes renovation - part 1 of bike re-furb.

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by thebiglad, Sep 6, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi all, as part of an on-going refurb of my new-to-me bike I'm going through the machine from front to back.

This is what I've done up to now:

1. Engine oil and filter change - used Mobile 10-40 special Triumph and an HF-204 filter;

2. Examined drive chain - dry as a bone plus worn front sprocket. Cleaned and lubed chain, purchased and installed a 19T (std is 18T) front sprocket; adjusted tension and we're good to go !

3. 2 days ago I renovated the front brakes completely. Starting with a strip and clean of the calipers, new Nissin copper pads, reassemble. Then bleed the brakes using the '10 pump' method which worked perfectly. The lever has almost no travel, no sponginess. The brakes work progressively and powerfully.

How to:
    Preparation: Jamjar 30% full of clean dot4 brake fluid; remove master cylinder lid, suck out old brake fluid (turkey baster or similar); top up with clean new fluid; crack off bleed nipple; affix clear plastic tube to bleed nipple and put other end in jamjar.
    Tools required: 10mm open spanner; plenty of fresh dot4 fluid.

When everything is set-up, and with the bleed nipple closed, pump the front brake lever firmly 10 times and on the 10th hold the lever firmly to the 'bar. Now open the bleed nipple - the lever will go back to the 'bar; now close the bleed nipple and release the brake lever. Keep an eye on the level of the fluid in the master cylinder. Repeat process until new, clean fluid comes through with no bubbles.

Now do the same to the other caliper.

Next job is to install a Loobman chain oiler .......................................................................

2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Are you going for the manual Loobman one Dave - that is the one where you have to push a button to get the oil to flow?

3. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #3 thebiglad, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Yes mate I am - the Loobman AB Dynamic. £17.95 of plumbery sitting on my coffee table as we speak.

It looks as though once it's installed and set up, you press the button for 5 or so seconds which progressively releases a measured amount of oil on both sides of the rear sprocket (like that idea alot) as you ride.

Now obviously it's not automatic like a Scottoiler, but there's no connection with vacuum take-off's and does both sides of the chain as std. Plus it's 18 squid rather than £100 for Scotty. So I thought I would give it a go. Interestingly, Loobman recommend using engine oil - 10/40 - rather than a bespoke chain oil. Well we've all got a drop of 10-40 around the place haven't we?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    G'day. I had a Loobman on a bike in the past but I discarded it because I was never happy with the flimsy nozzle mount on the swing arm. It got displaced every time I washed the bike. That was about 3 years ago, have they improved the nozzle and it's mounting to make it more robust and reliable now ?

5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello Flay, well tbh until it's installed onto the bike I'm not sure what to say about its robustness, I think if I install it carefully and correctly it should stay in position as good as a Scottoiler though? In addition to the normal zip ties in various sizes they now supply 3M sticky pads to locate everything pretty securely.

6. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    Hah. Being me, I'd really prefer a big chunky billet alloy nozzle mount of some kind rather than the wire and cable ties arrangement that mine came with . But then the price would be a lot different !!

7. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi Dave, I tried the same model on my Trident for a short while.

Positives: it does deliver the oil quite smoothly after you press the button, but takes a while to initially flow through. Make sure you get the air vent hole correctly positioned, as this is critical to allowing the oil to flow.

Negatives: I couldn't seem to position the nozzle feed properly whatever I did and it is essential that the instructions are followed to the letter here as it just won't work unless it is at the right angle. (45 degrees I think). In the end the Trident's chain had a nice lunch of plastic nozzle!

I think it may work better on a different bike - not sure the Trident was the best example due to swing arm size and the limited options for fitting the reservoir. Meant to try it on the Enfield but not got round to it yet!

8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Well the Loobman is installed !!!!! Not a straightforward install I have to say (the included instructions were a bit pants imho), but it appears to work and delivers measured amounts of oil to both sides of the chain. Time will tell.

Right I'm off out for a ride.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I just linked the Loobman to two of my mates at work who say the Scottoiler is too expensive.
    Cheers TBL

10. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Well I've done a few rides now with the Loobman operating and my chain has never looked so clean and well lubed plus any surplus oil on the back wheel was very easy to wash off with std. car wash shampoo.

All seems very good up to now.

• Like Like x 1