2006 Bonneville T100 Intermittent Stalling

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Docsabre, Feb 3, 2024.

1. Docsabre

Docsabre New Member

Feb 3, 2024
    California
    New owner of 2006 T-100. It needed carb overhaul and mechanic identified intermittent stalling with no spark. After a period of time it would start without issues. He said coil checked ok. He found it needed a new crank position switch. Installed OEM CPS and it ran well. On the way back from his shop (in pouring rain of course) it died again. After 2 minutes it cranked with no problem. Today I rode it 3 miles in dry sunny weather and it again shut off with no warning as if you had hit the kill switch. After 2 minutes it cranked, no problem and I rode 16 fun miles.

I am at a loss why it starts and runs perfectly, shuts off suddenly, then starts up easily and runs perfectly.

Thoughts?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 243jimb

243jimb Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Canada
    When the engine dies, does the tachometer needle drop to zero?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Docsabre

Docsabre New Member

Feb 3, 2024
    California
    Haven’t noticed. Next time it does I’ll check. The tachometer should slowly wind down as the engine revs slow. If the tach stops suddenly would that indicate a more central electrical problem affecting both the tach circuit AND the ignition circuit?

4. 243jimb

243jimb Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Canada
    If the tach drops to zero and the engine is still turning at speed then yes, it would point to an electrical problem either a loose connection, crank sensor or ignition module.

5. Docsabre

Docsabre New Member

Feb 3, 2024
    California
    It has a new OEM crank position sensor installed.

6. 243jimb

243jimb Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Canada
    I noticed that. It seems like it's electrical and it just a question of which part.

7. Docsabre

Docsabre New Member

Feb 3, 2024
    California
    My mechanic said the coils checked out. Took it for a 20 mile ride yesterday without any problems.

8. Docsabre

Docsabre New Member

Feb 3, 2024
    California
    After a few more stalls I went ahead and replaced the coil with a Nology Profire coil and it works fine.