2004 Speed Triple 955i - Spitting/spurting Noise

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by David H., Sep 20, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David H.

David H. New Member

Aug 15, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Hey guys,

I'm getting a spitting/spurting/compressed air blast sound when I'm at idle. I first noticed it after I accidentally yanked off one of the hoses from the EVAP system that hooked up to the IAC port. It would spurt and I'd see a little cloud come out of the port. I'm not sure why, since air is supposed to go in, not out. The rubber connector was broken, so it continued to spurt after that.

Anyway, here's the flow of the various things I've done since I noticed the noise. Please note that the noise started before any of this, and I don't know that some of this has anything to do with the problem. I'm just including it for completeness of information:

1. Noticed spitting sound, discovered it was from one of three ports on the back of the cylinder head (which I eventually learned are the Idle Air Control ports)
    2. Removed Secondary Air Injection and closed off the ports and airbox.
    3. Removed California EVAP system. The rubber connectors were all cracked and worn, so I ended up trying just rubber vacuum hose and fuel line to connect the IAC ports on the head to the ports on the IAC valve under the airbox. This always resulted in unsteady and low RPM.
    4. I eventually removed all the hoses and went back to the corrugated plastic hoses that came with the bike, forcing on good rubber connectors. Idles great now, but the spitting is a lot worse again.

Has anyone encountered this spitting noise and knows what causes it? The bike seems to run fine now for the most part, except the engine seems to "miss" when the spurt happens. It's just really annoying and loud, and makes my bike sound like it's about to fall apart.

2. the Drainbamage

the Drainbamage New Member

Mar 8, 2019
    basingstoke
    Even though your post is now 2 years old, I thought it would be interesting to mention my 2002 triple is suffering from the exact same thing. Gotta take the petrol tank off to have a look. Not sure exactly how to do that so planning to first have a couple of pints to help the creativity side of the brain.