Sprint 2004 Idle Issue When Hot

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Burgs, Jun 2, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Burgs

Burgs New Member

Mar 18, 2023
    Australia
    Hi All
    Another idle issue, 2004 Sprint ST 955i, bike ran good no idle issues until I removed the front fairing and screen, it wasn't until I was refitting the fairing I noticed what looked like 2 very small hoses or wires couldn't tell which were hanging lose.
    After searching for a long while could not find a home for them, I thought they must just be spares so refitted the screen.
    On start up bike idles good, went for a test ride and at the first round about the engine cut out as I idled back and sent me sideways, hit the starter and restarted and rode away until the next round about.
    If I keep the throttle cracked open a bit I can manage to keep the engine running.
    When throttle is on the bike runs perfect through the rev range, except for idle ie pull clutch in idle back engine cuts out.
    Cold the engine will idle fine.

Regards
    Burgs

2. Burgs

Burgs New Member

Mar 18, 2023
    Australia
    Hi busy but finally got to have a look at the Sprint idling issue.
    What I have found is the rubber to plastic connectors for the lines from the air control valve to injector bodies have completely failed.
    I have a another bike for parts, so thought I might be lucky to find they would be ok, but alas they also had scummed to time.
    Replaced the old lines with high temp Silicon vacuum hoses.
    need to do a bit of other work as well, found the alternator to regulator almost melted together.
    Burgs

20230902_150824.jpg

20230902_171313.jpg

20230902_171325.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Burgs

Burgs New Member

Mar 18, 2023
    Australia
    Ok, did about 1500 klm plus ride last week, idle was a bit wishy washy for about 1 1/2 days then smoothed out to a steady 1100 Rev/min and the bike was a dream to ride, no fear in entering round abouts and cutting out:D.
    Very happy, bike has over 106,000 k on it now.
    Great 5 day ride with 9 bikes, only thing I had to do was put petrol in, we rode mostly 1 hour stints and the Sprint roughly took 3 litres less than more modern bikes :D.
    Burgs

• Like Like x 1