2004 Daytona 600 Alternator Removal Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Kneepuck, Sep 7, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kneepuck

Kneepuck New Member

Sep 7, 2021
    Southern Cal.
    Just got my hands on a 2004 600 that needs a sprague clutch. Looks like I have to remove the alternator, which seems to be riveted in place. Do I need a special puller to get this out or is there a work around? None of my pullers will fit the thing and it is getting frustrating.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Kneepuck
    Welcome to the family. I can't help i am afraid. But i am sure one of the more intelligent inmates will be along soon. When they have had their meds.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kneepuck

Kneepuck New Member

Sep 7, 2021
    Southern Cal.
    Okay, I found that you need a 38mm flywheel puller to get this off. The one I got did not have a long enough center stud, but my slide hammer threaded right into it. A couple of slides and it popped right out. Also found that those rivets are actually the ends of the allen head bolts from the other side.

• Like Like x 3
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Kneepuck
    I am so glad you got sorted. And a bit disappointed no one came to your aid or encouraged you with your task. Still good luck with the job and enjoy the bike. And of course thanks for coming back to explain the process i am sure it will help others.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Thanks for posting the solution. So many don’t. This helps as our resident Archivist and Librarian @MICK64 goes totally bananas if a thread like this doesn’t get a useful lesson learned outcome.

He’ll be a very happy Archivist today, which in turn makes the rest of the inmates happy as he’ll not be quite as annoying for a day or two.

;):)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I think MICK64 has left/been invited to?

7. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

He’ll fit right in…

• Agree Agree x 1