2004 955i Tail Swap

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Gz223, Apr 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gz223

Gz223 New Member

Apr 16, 2019
    México City
    Hi!
    First of all sorry about my english (its not my native language but im trying my best to learn)

I receantly got a 2004 triumph speed triple (955i) for an excellent price, but Im really not feeling the tail design.

I was wondering if it would be possible to swap the tail for a 2005+ (1050), if so, what years could I and what parts do I need to search for.

Thank you very much in advance

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Chewie

Chewie Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Melbourne Australia
    I am in the process of doing this very thing. I have a complete rear section off an 05 model, subframe, seat, undertray, coolant reservoir, infact the whole rear section. I have started by painting the frame and swing arm black and have not as yet started fitting the rear end. The 05 subframe will bolt right up. As the underseat arrangement of electrics, battery location, coolant reservoir, ECU, etc is very different, fitting it all in and connecting it all to the 04 loom is going to be interesting. The rear tank mount is going to require some thought and fabrication as well.

I have chosen the 05-07 rear end but I don't see why you couldn't use the 08-10 rear end.

Good luck with your project.

here is a picture I found on the internet that I am using as inspiration

special-giugnospeedcarbon12.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. Gz223

Gz223 New Member

Apr 16, 2019
    México City
    Thank you very much for the info, it was really helpful.
    By any chance do you know any source where I could find a list or a diagram of the parts ill be needing to complete the whole rear section ?
    again, thank you very much for the help

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chewie

Chewie Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Melbourne Australia
    This website - World of Triumph - has schematics that show all the parts you'll need. This particular section includes all Speed Triples from 2005-2010, so I'm not sure how it discriminates between the differences between 05-07 and 08-10, but the diagrams all look like the 05-07 model. You'll be able to see what you need and what triumph call the parts. The site shows part numbers that are not triumph part numbers.

Your best bet is to find someone that is wrecking (breaking) and 05-07 and buy the whole rear assembly. The schematics are a good guide to the parts that you'll need. Try Ebay, and there is a good breaker I've heard of in the UK called Triumphant, and another in the US called Imperial Sportbikes - (ask for Tim).

I'll be using all the 04 electrics, Ecu etc, but you'll need to access an 05 coolant reservoir. See if you can get one that came from the same bike as the subframe. In the 05-07 model run Triumph changed the reservoir about 3 times (I have no idea why, but it caused me no end of grief when I had to replace my original in an 05 I had some years ago.)

Good luck in your search.

https://www.worldoftriumph.com/partscatalog/catalog/browse/catalog/triumphmc/modelid/610315/

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ryan2003speed3

Ryan2003speed3 New Member

Oct 17, 2021
    I know this post is old but what did you do to fit the tank to the bike on my 2003 the tank will not fit with the subframe

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes curious myself.
    Joe

7. Ryan2003speed3

Ryan2003speed3 New Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Anyone??