2003 Tt600, Fuel Pump Problem?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Sweet27, Jan 8, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sweet27

Sweet27 New Member

Jan 8, 2023
    Adelaide
    Hi everyone, new member and new Triumph owner here. First of all I apologise for starting a new thread but I couldn't find my exact problem anywhere.

The problem: My TT600 wouldn't start tonight.
    I rode to work, it started normally at home and idled for a few minutes warming up. It was a warm day today, over 30°c. Temps stayed normal on the ride in.
    The bike seemed to stutter in first gear at low revs leaving the suburbs. It felt like I was running out of fuel but the light was not on.
    I stopped and filled up but the tank was already half full to begin with.
    The stutters in first persisted but I didn't notice them if I kept the throttle smooth and changed to second as soon as I was up to speed.
    I stopped again at the shops before work, and again the bike started first touch and I rode the last minute to my park.
    Six hours later after leaving work, it started up first touch like normal.
    At this stage I do not remember if I heard the fuel pump priming, but I think I would have noticed if it didn't. I'm new to EFI bikes but waiting a few seconds for the primer whine is already a habit. Also the digital display booting up.

While I'm putting on my helmet and gloves, the idle speed was sitting around 1500rpm for a minute and then suddenly dropped down and the bike stalled as though the petrol had cut out.
    I tried to start it again, the starter motor cranked no problem and the lights were unaffected by low battery.

I let it sit for a while, tried again a few times and got nothing. Eventually I realised the fuel pump was not making the whining sound I assume is the priming stage. It usually does this when I turn the ignition on.
    A bit of googling and searching on here led me to look at the fuses which all seemed intact, although some were too hard to remove without tools handy.
    I also noticed the relay (the square black box under the seat near the fuses?) Was clicking when I turned the ignition to on, or possibly it was when I turned the killswitch to on.

The bike has a bit over 20,000km on it and 2 previous elderly owners who never abused it and held all the receipts for servicing. It's due for the 20,000km valve clearance check and they are a bit noisy but overall it was mechanically sound until this let down tonight. I've been taking it easy until I can get the valves done and haven't even cracked over 100km/h on it, and haven't been out of 3rd gear beside testing when I bought it.
    Unfortunately it's my daily ride and mechanics are at their busiest this time of year so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    I want to get it in peak condition and experience a piece of history! Unfortunately I'm pretty daft mechanically so I have much to learn...