2003 Thunderbird 900 - Headlight Fuse Keeps Blowing

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Robert Leigh, Aug 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Leigh

Robert Leigh New Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Newmarket, Suffolk, UK
    Hi All,
    I'd appreciate some help, please.
    I have an annoying issue that looks like its going to ruin a sunny bank holiday :sob:
    I was riding a couple of nights ago and went on reserve. It coughed and shuddered, put it on reserve and it picked up perfectly again. But when I looked up, the headlight had gone out, high and low beam (laos neutral and side stand cut-out). I limped home in the dark and checked at home and it was a blown fuse.
    I changed it today and all was good for a mile then it went again.
    I suspected maybe a faulty headlight relay - but I don't think it has one?
    I thought maybe a chaffed live wire grounding, but the blown fuse is only just broken - no burning so maybe a slow blow rather than a direct short to ground?
    Any ideas of what to look at would be welcomed.
    Thank you

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Could've a Broken insulation cover, only fusing when turning the steering?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Robert Leigh

Robert Leigh New Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Newmarket, Suffolk, UK
    Thank you - i’ve Got the tank, seat and all panels off - I’ll check all the wires for damaged insulation . Thank you for your suggestion I’ll definitely check that. Thank you

4. Robert Leigh

Robert Leigh New Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Newmarket, Suffolk, UK
    Well I think you were right.
    Inside the headlight shell there were a load of wires held with metal "tags" welded to the shell.
    The insulation on a few wires was damaged, although I could see through to the conductor.
    I taped up and added additional sleeving and after 50 miles it appears to have gone away.
    fingers crossed.
    cheers

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1