2002 Sprint St Misfire

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by DESMONDO, May 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DESMONDO

DESMONDO New Member

May 24, 2019
    Thornaby
    #1 DESMONDO, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Hi everyone, new member. just bought a 2002 sprint st. Ran and pulled great on test ride. But now won't pull cleanly from below 4000 revs, stutters and misfires, but pulls fine above 4000 revs. Starts and pulls away as it should from cold, but do the same when hot and it stutters/misfires and stalls, if revs not kept above 4000. Any ideas anyone? Done the ECU reset procedure, which has made it worse! Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    DESMONDO.
    Welcome to the family. Tell us more about the bike has it stood for long. What miles are on the bike. Battery condition and any useful bits like work done.
    Ride Safe & Enjoy
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  3. DESMONDO

DESMONDO New Member

May 24, 2019
    Thornaby
    Hi Joe, thanks for you reply. Just bought the 955SPRINT, it's 2002, 27000 miles, last serviced 2018, but wasn't at a Triumph dealer, so big service not done, Battery's in good condition, cranks over and starts first time, on trickle charger since I,ve had it. Going in to CCM Motorcyclres in Stockton today, as having the big service on Wednesdat the 29th. Don't know if it's been stood, but it has been dropped at some point. Any ideas on possible cause / causes would be most welcome! Thanks again

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Being fuel injected i would first check the ECU coolant temp sensor as this if faulty will cause a permanent rich mixture which will be noticed most at hot start and lower loads.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Could just be that the throttle bodies need balancing and a good service. See what it’s like after the 29th ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DESMONDO

DESMONDO New Member

May 24, 2019
    Thornaby
    Hi TD, Thank's for your reply, seems logical. Dropped it off now at CCM Stockton. So we'll see what it's like when I get it back. will post the results. Thanks again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DESMONDO

DESMONDO New Member

May 24, 2019
    Thornaby

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DESMONDO

DESMONDO New Member

May 24, 2019
    Thornaby
    Thanks for your reply Freck, I'll let you know, when I get it back. Fingers crossed!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    DESMONDO.
    Yes get that service done as the early sprints don't like missing them and tend to blow the engine to bits. For some silly reason the shims seem to work in reverse to most bike and get tighter. I know this as I had one of mine do about 5 though over and never got it to the service. They are great bikes and one of my all time favourites. And dropping could be a million reasons from bad tyres to careless riding. The especially don't like it when the tyres square of in the middle and when you drop them into a corner they are buggers to get upright again.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Joe the older screw and locknut went slacker as time went by but the shim idea reversed this theory. Basically the shim set up is so hard that the valve recesses further into the head so in effect the gap gets smaller.
    I knew a lad that had an FZ750 (I took it to the TT in '94) and it would start cold no issue but not warm. The valve clearances were obviously well over due yet it run like a dream and made good power.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Its all down to the type of valve train setups...all valve seats get hammered and as a result reduce the clearances....but it all depends how the valves are opened and closed and how aggressive the cams are, the early side valves used a simple adjustable follower that bore directly on the cam and surprisingly and also because of the "soft" cam profiles they would go for ages without needing adjustment,
    Then came overhead valves which had far more moving parts and as a result more to wear so despite the valve seat wear the overall clearances often opened up (as well as inefficient lock nuts not doing there jobs)
    later when we got to cam over follower there are just the cams and the followers some with shims some without and along with better oils there was only the cam surface and its journal which wear much slower than the seat that takes a real battering from more aggressive cam profiles and increased RPM....and just for the pedants i have left out desmodromics etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    :p:p:p:p:p

And i forgot VVT as well....[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  13. DESMONDO

DESMONDO New Member

May 24, 2019
    Thornaby
    Many thanks Joe. Going to e;mail CCM, to make sure they check/adjust the shims.
    Regards
    Desmondo

• Like Like x 1
  14. DESMONDO

DESMONDO New Member

May 24, 2019
    Thornaby
    Hi all, said I'd update a reply once I'd collected my 2002 Sprint ST from full service. Just collected it tonight. The good news is the new tyres, and rear shock are fitted, oil, plugs, filters and break service carried out. Unfortunately when I collected the bike and asked them if they'd checked/adjusted the valves, they said they don't do that, it needs to go to a Triumph Dealer. Funny they never said that when I enquired about them carrying out the big 24,000 mile service! Any how paid the £475.00 bill, rode away hoping the hot start pull away misfire/ stall problem would be solved, but unfortunately, when stopped for a short while, enquiring about EU number plates, the restart pull away stutter/ misfire/ stall problem was just the same. Rode straight back to the dealers, and asked them to take it for a spin, as the stalling problem was actually worse. The manager duly came out and tried to set off, but bogged down and stalled twice as I'd told them, only being able to pull away, after giving it loads of revs. All as I'd told them prior to dropping off my bike.
    Well seems like, my plan of saving some money buy not using Triumph dealers has backfired! I'm going to ring A1 MOTO, or Triumph Newcastle, and see if they can give me a quote to do the valve clearance adjustment only. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks all.

Regards
    Desmondo.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Was the ECU coolant temp sensor checked as i suggested earlier in this thread?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    If CCM don’t do valve check/adjustments then I wouldn’t have any faith in them as decent mechs and wouldn’t go back. Hope you get the bike sorted @DESMONDO

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. DESMONDO

DESMONDO New Member

May 24, 2019
    Thornaby
    Hi T-D, I honestly don't believe they have done any checks at all. It just seems they 've done the normal routine stuff, oils,filters,ect. I did tell them to check for any fault codes, which would have brought up any faulty sensors. I also asked them on collection, and there reply was, no faults showed up. They were also told again,when I dropped the bike off to investigate the misfire, poor running pulling away with a hot engine ect. They obviously hadn't even taken it out for a test ride. Very unhappy with the quality of there service.
    Thanks again T-D
    Regards
    Desmondo

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. DESMONDO

DESMONDO New Member

May 24, 2019
    Thornaby
    Hi Freck, Thanks for your reply, you live and learn! They had a very convincing webb site. With service like that, they won't be around for long, and my normal Dealers Tillstone Motorcycles Stockton would not do it, as it's a Triumph. Just debating what to do next?

Regards
    DESMONDO

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I don’t get why they won’t do it because it’s a Triumph :confused: There’s nothing complicated about it, or am I missing something?

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. DESMONDO

DESMONDO New Member

May 24, 2019
    Thornaby
    Hi all, Just an update on my 2002 sprint st. Rang CCM Motorcycles of Stockton, and said I'd give them an opportunity to try and get my bike running correctly, before I say or do anything further. Surprise surprise, they haven't called me! So they can expect a very poor review.
    However on a brighter note, have rang Triumph Newcastle, and explained my predicament, and they couldn't have been more helpful. They have managed to squeeze me in this Wednesday, have said it could be the throttle bodies, but will do a full diagnostic check. They have also said they'll do all they can to get it running correctly for my Euro trip in a couple of weeks time. There you have it, the good and the bad dealers.
    I tried to save some money, but have ended up spending more. Will let you know progress, when I collect from Triumph Newcastle.

Regards
    Desmondo

• Like Like x 5