2002 Speed Triple 955 Thoughts And Advice.

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by philip atkings, Aug 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. philip atkings

philip atkings New Member

Aug 8, 2019
    Glasgow
    Hi Guys, My names Phil and I've been riding a Yamaha Thundercat for 10 years but think it's time to change. I want something with a more upright position, comfy and fun and speed triple seems to fit that.
    I have seen a 2002 Speed Triple 955 that I really like. It say's it has full service history but I am waiting on more information.

Would you guys have any advice on the big things to check the bike has had serviced in it's 17 year life?

I love the look of them with the big spotlights up front. It does have an aftermarket exhaust but I wonder what the opinion is of how to get the best sound from them. (not bothered if not legal)

It's a 2002 - 20k miles up for £2500 with 3 mnths warranty. does that sound about right?

Many thanks for any buying advice could give, all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi mate and welcome. Can't help you I'm afraid, but some knowledgable person will be along shortly, I'm sure.
    I've got a 2005 Speed Triple and love it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    Hi Philip, the speed triples a re great bikes, only thing I disliked was the lack of wind protection on longer runs.
    Things to look out for are the rear suspension linkages will seize if not periodically greased (cost would be about £100 to repair)
    I would be asking if the valves had been checked and ask for a copy of the clearances,. having said that I checked mine at 20K miles and they were all still at top tolerance.
    not sure if the sp3 suffered from the reg/rec issue (probably did) so the harness may have been modded to allow fitment of a Mosfet item.
    apart from that not much else springs to mind.

4. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Great bike mate sure footed and powerful sounds ace with the triumph carbon can in my opinion and should hold its money if in good condition and maintained

5. philip atkings

Aug 8, 2019
    Glasgow
    Thank you! I've asked for that info so hopefully I appear knowledgeable. wind protection was actually always good on my thundercat and double bubble but to be fair I rarely do longer runs so on those I have in mind would just suck it up....haha

the twin front spotlight retro look is awesome,

here is a random question, any idea do the 2 front lights both come on at the same time for dipped and main?

6. philip atkings

Aug 8, 2019
    Glasgow
    Thank you! it does have a carbon can on it but not sure if that's the triumph version or not. I'm digging around.
    i'm keen to get onto a naked with more upright position, thundercat wants me to tuck in and rev the monkeys off it which i want to move on from. (although I will miss sound of it's unbaffled non legal race can)_ haha

7. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    I think you can add a relay so both lights come on at once

8. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Phil, and welcome in :cool::cool:

9. philip atkings

Aug 8, 2019
    Glasgow
    Thanks guys, here's the bike which has got my interest:
    https://www.jamespricemotorcycles.co.uk/used-bikes/triumph-speed-triple-955-seaham-201907270508159
    im in glasgow and this is in sunderland so i cant go see.
    advertised as Full service history but the dealer says has 5 stamps so I'm not sure I class that as FSH. does look very well cared for, asked dealer for a walk around video and to get sound of bike. he replied to say he wasnt very good with computers and i could you tube the sound of one.....HMM.

• Like Like x 1
  10. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    #10 feckless, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    looking at the pics I think the frame has been painted as I am fairly sure they only did black frames on specials in 2004. also not sure if its the camera angle but the clutch cover looks pretty scratched.
    I would be digging a bit deeper before parting with my cash as it may have been down the road and rebuilt.
    hope I am wrong :)

11. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Phil.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

12. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Philip and welcome to the forum :)

13. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome......

15. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi mate & Welcome to the Forum :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    Philip did you get to have a look at the bike??

17. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Welcome aboard Phil, nice looking Speedy but as above, dig deep on it's history to be sure you're getting an honest bike, hope all goes well :p

18. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Phil and welcome to the forum :cool: looks the business mate, best of luck with your purchase

19. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Welcome buddy:)

20. Modalconfusion

Modalconfusion Active Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Stafford
    1BAFB26C-7B7B-44B6-A8FA-6156D2FB8D10.jpeg I had a 2003 in errr 2003 it was a great stead indeed, to my shame I sold it in 2008 ish but never had a problem with it in all that time. Can get a bit light on the front at illegal speeds