2001 Tt600 Help

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by jac, Mar 29, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jac

jac Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Nevada,USA
    2001 tt600 running hotter than Satan's scrotum!

Upon looking at this bike to be purchased, the thing wouldn't start. It had been layed down (at high speeds by the looks of it) The owner said it overheated often. After sorting out the ignition key switch it fired but didn't stay running. I followed vacuum lines and reattached the 2 disconnected. One appeared to be the crank vent. The fuel line was kinked and the hose clamp to the tank was missing. I got that fixed with ease and the thing ran amazing. I jumped on and rode 148 mph for the very first time in my life. (Only dirtbike experienced) I was so thrilled that I compulsively bought this nightmare and called a friend to take my car home. The bike had been ran around town a handful of times with great performance. The temperature seemed hot. 220-230f average but no light. I became eager to lean the ways of the street bike rider. After a few days of trying to get comfortable on the bike it began shutting off and stalling out with refusing to start back up. The bike was always hotter than 130f when shutting down. About 136-141f After walking the bike home several times I quickly found a dead battery more often than not so I took it to be checked. The battery being no good was replaced and the bike fired up. After my bike left me stranded during 9 more rides I knew the problem was deeper. It seemed to have turned out to be the regulator/rectifier connection became loose at the connection to the unit(previous owner rewired the r/r) I tightened wires by sticking a screw driver to pry the pins into a snug fit after and let the bike warm up at an idle. I normally begin riding within 4 minutes of starting but this time I waited. After 15 minutes it puked antifreeze and died. I thought the levels might be off so I topped everything and was sure to overfill. I let it puke twice. 3 times. A 4th and 5th time. The levels are correct and the fluid has always been a beautiful healthy green color from the beginning. The oil is a slightly darker gold color with no signs of defect. There is no mixing of the two from my observations. The water pump seems well by moving plenty of fluid through the radiator. No unusual bubbling in the reservoir or radiator. The fan is in working order and runs at 220f [[I may hardware the switch to the "key on position" so the fan kicks on earlier.]] It seems to get passed 235f every time and puke fluid before running rough. Everything done with the bike idling. Ive walked the darn thing as much as I've riden it and I'm getting frustrated. Here is the HELP part: HOW DO I COOL THIS HOT MESS OFF!?!?!? Can I get a bigger radiator? Bigger fan?? The R/R is always hot to the touch. I need suggestions. I know the operating temp should be about 225f. How do i keep her from exceeding that?? The bike has given me a hard-on since I hit 3rd ger for the first time. I've grown attached sentimentally. After all that I've done to this neck breaker I've decided to turn the money pit into a naked bike. Soon to become a scrambler/stunt bike. I'll attach link to build forum when I make a thread. Parts On The Way!