2001 Thunderbird Work In Progress

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Chalter, May 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chalter

Chalter New Member

May 21, 2018
    Wisconsin, USA
    Greetings to all..new member..check out my saga at new member or welcome center, forgot what exactly it's called (Scrambler or Thunderbird). Long story short bought 2001 Thunderbird 900 with right around 3,100 MIlea on it for $2,500 American, unridden due to having sat for quite awhile & refused to turn over. Got it home & got it running and temp light came on within first mile or two...sadness & near panic at what I may have gotten myself into...a little trolling on this forum & Triumph Rat assuaged my fears and discovered this is a common thing for these bikes, maybe all Triumphs of this vintage, don't know.,
    Anyways I'm going to try switching out the stock fan switch for a VW switch that's supposed to fit perfect, but would also like to have an actual temp gauge. Anybody out there ever put one one and any suggestions on where to find something that will plug right into the existing temp probe hole?

• Like Like x 1
  2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Hi, Chalter and welcome.

Before you start buggering about with a new fan, check the condition (and quantity) of coolant, the state of the radiator cap and also the thermostat. If it's getting so hot within a couple of miles it is unlikely - in my opinion - to be fan related, more likely to be lack of good quality coolant and/or a circulation problem.

As for a temperature gauge, you may be able to source one from a different carb'd model (Trident, Trophy, Daytona etc) and wire it in as per that model - don't know how possible that is, but may be the way to go.

Having a bike unused for long(ish) periods does 'em no good at all, and this lack of use may be the root of your problem.

Just a bit of fairly intelligent (though that may be disputed!) guesswork for you to ponder over.

Hope that is helpful.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Chalter

Chalter New Member

May 21, 2018
    Wisconsin, USA
    Thanks Steve, yeah, did all that, new oil/filter, double flush and refill cooling system with Honda coolant & made a big difference, so fingers crossed, seems to want to get hotter at slowed or stopped speeds so I guess I'd better just keep givin 'er

Charlie in Wisconsin

• Like Like x 1
  4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    My Trident 900 (essentially the same engine as yours) does get pretty warm in slow moving or stop start town traffic, if that makes you feel a little more reassured. Normal running, the temperature gauge needle is between 10 and 11 o'clock rising to around 12 o'clock in traffic. I also realise that this information is not too helpful due to your lack of an actual gauge ... oops!:(
    Having said that it does need to get hotter than that before the fan kicks in.:sweat:
    'Tis just a bit awkward not knowing how the two bikes compare in similar circumstances.:confused:

5. Chalter

Chalter New Member

May 21, 2018
    Wisconsin, USA
    Hot issue seems to be ok...have run on some pretty warm days..light comes on, flickers, goes off, fan comes on.. doesn't seem to be any particular order...guess that's just how it is.
    Now starting to dress up my m machine...found beautiful king/queen seat from bobster somewhere in UK...put on Viking throw over paniers...waiting parts to raise handlebars 30mm...extended rear passenger floor boards ( Honda parts, hope I can make them work) currently can't really get feet on existing pegs.
    Now looking for crash bars & wind screen.
    Open to suggestions... personal successes and failures.

6. dirty big hands

dirty big hands Active Member

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    My thoughts would be that these bikes generally are hot!
    My '98 TBS does exactly the same re temp light and fan.
    I'm currently riding across Europe where we have 30+ degrees in the day and high 20's at night and the fan kicks in as soon as we hit slow traffic/stop. Running at 60/70mph it's hot, very hot!
    But, 1300 miles in 5 days and no issues.

• Like Like x 1