Sprint 2001 Sprint St Fuel Gauge Fault

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Triumph Fan, Jun 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Triumph Fan

Triumph Fan New Member

Jun 13, 2019
    Farmington Hills, MI USA
    I put my bike away for the winter using an accurately measured and mixed amount of StaBil fuel stabilizer. I started it up this spring and the fuel light comes on and the fuel gauge indicates empty, though the tank is full. It has been 90% at fault, with occasional moments of functioning properly. Any thoughts?

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Now I don’t know if it’s true of the newer bikes but I was told a while ago that my Daytona shouldn’t be shut off with the kill switch as it can corrupt the ECU, or at least cause some problems.
    It’s because the kill switch is for an emergency shut down only as it kills power instantly to the ECU whereas shutting off with the key doesn’t, which allows time for the ECU to write updated data to its memory.
    I’ve not looked into it to see if this is true, but it sounds plausible. I have heard reports of ECUs becoming U/S because of this.

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Triumph Fan.
    Yes I would tend to say its a sticky old float in your tank.
    Ride Safe.
    Joe.

4. Triumph Fan

Triumph Fan New Member

Jun 13, 2019
    Farmington Hills, MI USA
    I've ridden it quite a bit, but can it be a sticky float, when it didn't work, then it worked for a few minutes, then quit again? To me that sounds more electrical than mechanical, although I hope you're right!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I had a friend with an early trident and it was a beggar worked some times another it messed about. He had to replace the float. Couple of years later it started again. He bent the float so it showed full al the time. Problem sorted. Well it was a few months later when he wrote if off.
    Regards
    Joe.