2001 Sprint Rs Not Starting No Juice To Anything

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Loco, Apr 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Loco

Loco New Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Tennessee
    First here is me and the bike. 2001 Sprint RS 955i

[​IMG]

Okay on to the problem. At the end of last year's riding season the bike went dead on me, I mean it completely died down while riding killing all electrical power, period. The way it died made me think of an alternator going bad so I went ahead and found one and replaced it, charged the batter and boom nothing, not a thing.

It is now well into spring and I have a manual and I'm trying to figure this out. The shop manual talks about an ECM relay but it really addresses it on other models except the 2001 Sprint RS. I called the dealer to check on a relay and he gave me a part # and said it wasn't available. When tracking down that part # it is a $1,900 ECM (not a relay). I'm starting to think that there is no relay, just the ECM.

So here are the symptoms with a fully charged battery. Turn the switch on and nothing, I mean nothing. No dash lights, no headlights, no beeps, no whistles, nothing not even a hiccup. It would the same thing as taking the battery out and putting it in the next room and then turning the switch on.

So do I really have a $1,900 ECM gone bad on a 19 year old motorcycle that runs really great?

Any and all help appreciated.

Chad

2. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    Check your grounds (-) first and main fuse if it's got one. Multiple failures at the same time tend to be ground issues.

3. Loco

Loco New Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Tennessee
    Checked and rechecked. This is seems more than multiple failure, a complete system failure.

4. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    My guess it may have a relay somewhere instead off all amps going thru the ignition switch.

5. Loco

Loco New Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Tennessee
    My thoughts was a relay but I can't find one that it would be. The wiring diagram shows an ECM relay but all indicators show nothing but the actual ECM.

6. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy Chad, and welcome in :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Loco

Loco New Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Tennessee
    Thanks If I can't get this figured out I may order the ECM off of E-bay. I know I can't put a $1900 part on a 19 year old bike

• Like Like x 2
  8. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Loco

Loco New Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Tennessee

Looked over that list and nothing there applies to my situation. That list is pretty straight forward and based on getting at least some reaction when you turn the switch on. I get nothing when turning the switch on. No headlight, no dash lights, no horn, no clicking. It is like the switch is not even connected. There is absolutely nothing happening when the switch is turned on.

10. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    How about the simple things first. Is the ignition switch faulty?
    It’s not unknown for cables to break off the connection block under the switch.

Edit - got there before me @Duckadiledundee and @Smilinjack :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Loco

Loco New Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Tennessee
    Good suggestions. I will start looking there and see what I can find.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Ok Chad..... and hi,

All we really know is that you have a dead bike. There are multiple possibilities so we need to narrow it down. Have you got a cheapie multimeter - $20 territory? A fully charged battery should give you about 12.7 volts between the terminals. The multimeter can then be used to find out where the power is getting to......and where it isn’t. A continuity test will ‘prove’ your earth strap and connections.

As others have said, the big expensive ECM is an unlikely candidate. It doesn’t really come into play until you spin her up. If you think about it there’s basically 3 circuits on a bike: accessories like lights that illuminate when you switch on, an ignition circuit that is similarly energised and the starter circuit that only operates when you crank it over.

Your symptoms suggest a dead battery, an earthing failure, a defect in the main switch or blown fuse. Relays only come into play when juice is flowing- they are basically an electrically operated switch that uses a small current to connect a larger one. You don’t seem to even have the small current!

So, apart from muttering in frustration, how much real diagnosis have you done? If you spell it out we can narrow down your issue.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Loco

Loco New Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Tennessee
    Battery tested and good, checked with a multi-meter. We've checked at the solenoid and no juice there. All the fuses checked and double checked. Our first thought was there was something between the battery and the switch that was gone. I had to wait till the manual came in with the wiring diagram before we went much further.

That was what lead me to the ECM but now you guys have me thinking switch issue.

• Like Like x 1