2001 Bonneville - Burnt Wiring Loom (main)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by kwr6, Feb 27, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kwr6

kwr6 New Member

May 19, 2019
    Hereford
    Hey Folks,

Anyone seen anything like this on their Bonnie?

This is the Main Wiring Loom connector which connects to the Rectifier.

Bike has been running fine, no charging issues, but clearly needs to be resolved.

Any help or guidance welcomed.

20210227_132013-1.jpg

2. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Is it recent damage or old standing?

Maybe there have been charging issues in the past, the damage looks like either too much current or very poor earth somewhere causing overheating.

3. kwr6

kwr6 New Member

May 19, 2019
    Hereford
    Hi,

Cannot be certain, I've had the bike for 18 months, done about 1500 miles in that time, but as you mention, this could have been there for a while.

I ran some tests on the Rectifier/Charging System and all appears ok, will be getting an Auto-Electrician to review.

4. Marcus Triumphus

Marcus Triumphus New Member

Apr 2, 2021
    Central Mexico
    Thanks for posting this. I just bought a 2017 T120 and have read that a few have had some wiring damage leading to failure to run. When I get the bike home I'll get the tank off and inspect things.

5. kwr6

kwr6 New Member

May 19, 2019
    Hereford
    The Wiring connectors sit (Mostly) within the headlamp bowl, I would suggest looking there first.

Having done further work on this, I've looked through the wiring diagram and find that these wires connect to the starter, via the solenoid, and will be checking the quality of those connections, that is where the most current draw will be.

I've managed to repair the loom and put new connectors (soldered for better connection) into the plug, hope that I'll get this up and running later today.

6. Marcus Triumphus

Marcus Triumphus New Member

Apr 2, 2021
    Central Mexico
    Thanks for saving me a lot of work for nothing (although getting the tank off would be a good lesson anyway). Good on you for all the work your doing on your own, I hope your soldering goes well.