Vintage Tiger 2001 955i Tiger Dilemma.

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by GBC, Oct 21, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. GBC

GBC New Member

Oct 21, 2018
    alberta Canada
    I just found you folks on line! . Another Triumph forum! Can't have to many of those.
    I thought I would post my latest entry from my usual go to Rat site and see if anyone might be able to help here.
    Thanks in advance.
    Gary

Well it finally happened ….I crashed on my 2001 Tiger, that just turned 100,000 Km and that I have owned since new. Still can’t believe it. It was a fairly low speed come off with kitty litter type gravel involved as the undoing of trying to save the corner.
    Some bruised body parts and a severely damaged ego.

Here is my dilemma. The damage to the bike is all up front. It needs a front headlight cowling along with the turn indicator light panel mounts, a new cockpit panel, nose fairing mounting bracket, front brake master cylinder, clutch lever post, handle bar and a few other things.
    I have found most parts on ebay already and they come in at a price that I can sort of justify to get the bike up and running over a winter. Motor, suspension, tires, brakes charging system all are A1.
    The only parts not available are the headlight cowling and side indicator panels. I suspect like my crash they do not survive most crashes to go into used bins. They are cost prohibitive new if I could even get them as OEM.

Hoping there is someone out there that might have the panel parts I need?
    If not I am considering parting the bike out myself. Dreading the thought of doing the ebay thing.....keep it and wait for parts to come up or part it out and start looking at a new 800….?? [​IMG]

Any help, thoughts and or suggestions most appreciated.

Cheers
    Gary

2. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Welcome aboard Gary. Good luck with your search. Sounds like you've the same problem I've had with my 1999 Sprint - the bits that get damaged are the ones that don't survive most crashes intact so are like hens teeth on Ebay.

3. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Gary and welcome to the forum :)

Hope you find the parts you require to get the old girl up and running.

4. Munchen

Munchen Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Germany
    Like most things it all comes down to how many pennies you have laying around. The newer adventure bikes from Triumph look really nice but quite a bit more expensive than the old girlies.

I've only just bought mine but already want to update it. I have to constantly remind myself that I wanted a cheap winter bike and that's exactly what I got. I'd have to pay around 3 or 4 times as much for a newer but used 800 or 1050 model.

Unless you are completely in love with your wrecked bike, with 100k km on the engine and the fact it's 17-year old, I would lean towards parting it out and updating it for a sexy newer model.

5. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Gary.

hi.gif