2000 Sprint Rs 955 And Sprint St 955 Differences?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by James Prete, Jun 26, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. James Prete

James Prete Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2020
    Rhode Island
    #1 James Prete, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Evening ladies and gents,

Sadly my head swap project is much more serious. Had it evaluated today and valves are bent and the bottom end my have a bent rod. So it does appear I am facing a total engine replacement in my RS I acquired a few days ago. I am looking at a decently priced ST engine but parts check says it won't work on my RS of the same year. Everything appears to be the same. What are the differences? Hell the parts check even says it doesn't work in a 2000 ST and its listed as an 00 to 04 ST engine

2. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    #2 Hobnail, Jun 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    I believe those engines are identical. A lot of part checks are just incomplete. My repair manual states the 955 engines in 2000 are the same, at least mechanically. If there is differences, it is mapping.

3. James Prete

Jun 21, 2020
    Rhode Island
    Thanks for the insight. Engine is listed for 489 plus 189 shipping from CA. Best I could do is 350 plus the 189 shipping, and the offer was declined so....the search continues :(

4. James Prete

Jun 21, 2020
    Rhode Island
    One of the other issues I have is finding heads that will work but they don't have the cam caps with them and everything I have read so far is you MUST have the ones that match that specific head

5. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Yes this is right, although it is possible to get new caps matched to your cams but it’d probably cost more to get done than finding a complete head.
    I think Hobnail’s right too. AFAIK all the 955 engines of the same year are mechanically the same, apart from paint differences between models and ECU mapping.

6. James Prete

Jun 21, 2020
    Rhode Island
    Ok I just bit the bullet and grabbed it. Listing had a video of it running and the pics show it well. Once it gets here I'll bolt her up and begin working on getting everything hooked up

Screenshot_20200626-091144_eBay.jpg

• Like Like x 1