2000 Sprint Head Removal

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by James Prete, Jun 21, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. James Prete

James Prete Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2020
    Rhode Island
    Good morning folks! Understanding it is frowned upon to ask the common questions before searching, I have done just that. I have been searching for a few hours and can not seem to find a solid source for a head gasket. Being new here and to Triumph I know very little about sources of both parts and info. Ideally I could use some help with sourcing needed gaskets and dare I say a solid how to on head and cam removal. I do have the Haynes manual but I am a fan of videos lol. Thanks in advance!

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’d recommend that you get the OEM gasket set as you get all the seals and gaskets you’ll need in one set. I think I paid about £100 for a top end kit.
    As for ‘how to’ I used a combination of the Haynes manual and the factory service manual when doing my Daytona.
    The only other resources I used were a variety of posts on this and Triumphrat forums where I got information on making a homemade liner puller. (shown below).
    A couple of tips I would definitely give you. First is to invest in a set of top quality Torx sockets; the head bolts need a lot of torque to undo and then refit. The other is to have the head skimmed. Mine was a couple of thou out and there were a couple of areas where water jacket corrosion had occurred; the skimming got rid of this.
    Good luck with the work mate, if you need any more info just ask.:)

0455BC1B-B410-4C70-A44F-D0063BD95068.jpeg

95A7A4E6-5789-4254-A912-25974C532BC9.jpeg

4A09C6B1-78BF-4B68-97CF-395228BF232A.jpeg

Forgot to say, welcome to the forum too. :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
  3. James Prete

Jun 21, 2020
    Rhode Island
    Thank you my friend! Yes I have no issues paying more for the right stuff. I learned that the hard way many times. I will say this I just went over the Haynes manual and it seems on sprint models the motor has to be removed from the frame. Additionally, the manual says when the head is removed it can disturb cylinder liners and those should be replaced and resealed as well? If that is the case then what I gather is the motor gets entirely overhauled because it needs top end repair. :(

4. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    You shouldn’t need to replace the liners but it’s certainly advisable to reseal them as they’re only Hylomared in and can be disturbed when removing the head.
    The sealant relies on the head being torqued down to seal the water jacket properly. To be honest, mine didn’t look like they’d been done very well.
    As for removing the engine, I couldn’t comment on the Sprint but it was a tight squeeze on my Daytona in situ, and I had to file a little off one of the mountings to get it back on.

5. James Prete

Jun 21, 2020
    Rhode Island
    So sealing them, effectively means coating the outside of them that contacts the block and putting them back in? What are we using as a sealant and what is that fancy yellow part you are using for your DIY remover? lol

As far as removing the engine I have zero knowledge on its requirement. I am basing that solely on the fact that the Haynes manual has a small snip-it at the beginning of the section for cylinder head removal that states that it needs to be removed for such and such models. I am guessing if i need to remove and reseal the liners that could be why it needs to be removed. I suppose the bike will still be worth all this trouble once I am done. I hope so anyway...

6. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    The liners are sealed with Hylomar silicone sealant or similar, applied below the shoulder. It shows you in the manual how to do this.
    The yellow tool is a homemade puller I used to get the liners out. It’s actually made from 2 pipe plugs from a plumbers merchant.
    It’d certainly be an easier job with the engine out but it is doable in situ, just a bit more awkward.

• Like Like x 1
  7. James Prete

Jun 21, 2020
    Rhode Island
    Thanks for all the info. I will have the bike here in a few days I am guessing and will start on the project.

• Like Like x 1
  8. James Prete

Jun 21, 2020
    Rhode Island
    I'm throwing in a few pics of the bike last night and its current state lol. I got this bike from a friend of a friend. The guy said he took the head off to repair it and saw that it was scored. I had no knowledge of where or how bad but took the bike anyway because as I said in my intro post, I did get the bike with a nice replacement head, and cams. The bike is 20 years old and in fairly good shape....minus the jacked up head. I've got her all apart and almost ready to pull the head. Just have to remove the two large bolts in the head supporting the engine and the smaller torx bolts for the head itself. Cam cap or clamp (forgetting the correct term) on the exhaust cam closest to the gear is in bad shape. And so is the surface of the head. I dont imagine reusing this head and clamp is possible? With a machine shop resurfacing perhaps or is it too far gone? Either way if that isnt possible I can swap the heads for the other (fear there is that its not ok to use the replacement cam clamps on the new head because the ones it had were not included) thoughts?

20200622_214225.jpg

20200622_214239.jpg

20200622_214244.jpg

20200623_202116.jpg

20200623_202121.jpg

20200623_202124.jpg

20200623_162550.jpg

9. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Hi Freck,
    How did you find the access around the pistons for cleaning the liner’s sealing face after they were all removed?
    Keeping the crud from falling into the engine must’ve been an absolute nightmare?
    I’ve just made a similar puller and cannot budge mine at all, even with ‘significant’ pull/force, they are seriously locked in, making me wonder whether I should just leave them well alone and refit the head? I was only removing them as a precaution to leaks.