20 Speed Rs Steering Lock Engagement Fault

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Gitter, Jul 15, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gitter

Gitter Member

Jan 12, 2021
    Napa, California
    Hey all,

Finally got out after a couple weeks of the bike sitting on its trickle charger. Stopped to run an errand, went to activate the steering lock (yes the bars were turned to the left at the appropriate angle) all I got was a buzzing sound and a message on the dash that says "Steering lock activation fault"

Got the bike home, tried a few different bar angles, keep getting the same noise and the same dash message.

Googled, didn't see anything related to this. Anyone ever had this happen? What should I be checking?

Would like to avoid going to the dealer if possible.

Thanks

Gitter

2. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I remember someone else having this error a while ago and it was a trip to the dealers i'm afraid (for them at least)
    Not really much that you can do as you can't get to it without major surgery.
    nightmare and good luck.

3. Gitter

Gitter Member

Jan 12, 2021
    Napa, California
    The more I poked at it last night the more I was getting that feeling.

curious if it will be covered under my warranty given the bike was purchased in January of this year and has less than 1700 miles.

4. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    It's a straight up warranty job. Only problem is getting it there though. They may come out and collect it as that's what has happened before. Give them a call and see?

5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Could be worse, it could have locked on and you not be able to move the bike. Sounds like a dealer job and warranty claim.
    Sorry if that’s stating the bleedin obvious :(

6. Gitter

Gitter Member

Jan 12, 2021
    Napa, California
    Bit of an update. Called local triumph dealer (not the one where I purchased the bike) and was told my their service department that I can bring it in, however if Triumph doesn't cover the replacement of whatever is causing the steering lock fault, then they will charge me for the shop time. Not sure if this is the standard response from a dealership on such matters... but I'm left wondering how a steering lock fault 9 months into ownership would be considered anything other than warranty work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Agreed. It’s a straight up warranty job as how on earth could you cause that fault?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Probably being cautious just covering their backside seeing that you didn't buy from them and I assume had no dealings with them so far. No reason why this shouldn't be the start of a mutually beneficial relationship. From the dealer's point of view as yet they can't be sure the problem wasn't caused by damage in an accident or attempted theft - the only circumstance I can imagine Triumph refusing a claim.

9. Gitter

Gitter Member

Jan 12, 2021
    Napa, California
    I've had dealings with this specific dealership in the past that have been less than optimal, the only reason I called them instead of the dealership where I bought it is because its about an hour closer.

My only concern as far as the warranty work is that I did my first service myself (everything went fine). That said, logically I can't see how me performing the first oil chance and other check would preclude them from honoring a warranty claim on the steering lock. But the key word there is "logically"