2+2 = 4?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Tosgha, Sep 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tosgha

Tosgha Noble Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    Awhile ago not long after the Speed Twins first 500 mile service I was checking over the bike to check coolant and engine oil levels and to my surprise the oil level was barely visible. I bought some oil and topped it up putting about 400 ml in it. Thinking that the bike must be burning some oil I left it at that.
    Today I did an oil filter and oil change and put in the Triumph recommended 3.4 ltrs to find it no where near the minimum level. Measured what had come out and low and behold it was approx 3.9 ltrs. I am now wondering if my dealers are in the habit of putting in the recommended amount but not adding the necessary extra. Any thoughts anyone?

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    My first thought involves a side stand.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tosgha

Tosgha Noble Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    Had it on the side stand but blocked up to get it virtually upright.

4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

The Aprilia you have to take for a ten mile run before checking!
    And no, you cannot just warm it up in the garage and then measure. I know this having tried it and over filled it, to then using a big syringe to take it back out :p:laughing::joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    ‘Virtually’ might be ok but in the absence of a centre stand leave the side stand extended and view the sight glass while squatting or leaning and holding the throttle grip (avoid parallax) You will feel the point of balance. You can stop it falling towards you and if it falls the other way it ends up on its side stand.

6. Tosgha

Tosgha Noble Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    #6 Tosgha, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    I will try it and see.:)
    Tried to get a reading with the balancing method but the light was too bad( no power in the remote garage). Put the bike on the paddock stand and the level was on the top limit. Did n't have a syphone so I took out the plug and dropped 400 ml out. The level was at bottom limit so the range between the upper and lower appears to be about 400ml. Will check tomorrow if the sump bolt washer is sealing now I have loosened it.

7. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #7 Eldon, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Umm once did this with a Honda CB1000R oil level window whilst wearing my dressing gown and slippers at 11.00 at night.... dont ask!
    The theory is good but in practice it doesnt work. The bike fell towards me and I weirdly had hold of the throttle which gave me no power. The bike fell over and I managed to land it on my legs to avoid any damage :p

To the OP, as has been said, check your checking procedure before progressing.

To give you an example some dipsticks need to hover over the hole where others are screwed fully in this gives ~200 ml difference on a 765 ST.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Dipstick...... I see :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    @Callumity I'm not sure in this case if the OP has a window or dipstick for level checking.
    I mentioned the dipstick to highlight the error that can occur if not doing the correct procedure ;)

10. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I thought you were in your dressing gown to use the dipstick :joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I second the suggestion to check if the oil dipstick should be resting on the opening or screwed in.
    On my Speed Triple it needs to be screwed in, my Triumph dealer had a habit of doing this wrong which meant syphoning out half a pint when I took it there.
    I do my own servicing now, I don't go there, they are no longer open...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    Tosgha as you have measured it on a paddock stand that will be fine.