Featured Touring 1st Annual? Scotland Road Trip 13th-18th May 2018

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Dougie D, Jan 20, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    #1 Dougie D, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Pictures of this trip start on page 27 and you can see more if you click on this link
    https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/post-your-scottish-road-trip-photos-here.13992/#post-188298

ALL BOOKED UP NOW!! If anyone else is interested i will help you try and get accommodation near to ours if you like

Myself and Andyc1 are doing a road trip on the 13th to 18th of May:),it looks like we will be meeting up in Tyndrum on a Sunday and staying overnight at the “By The way Bunkhouse” http://www.tyndrumbytheway.com/ from there we will be staying at different locations on the Mon,Tue,Wed,Thur & Friday nights,(the roads are a lot quieter during the week) I have a provisional route planned which takes in some of Scotlands best roads:) well known and not so well known;) The route is not set in stone so can easily be tweaked. i will supply everyone with daily route cards or GPX files for thier sat nav,
    If anyone is interested either send me a PM or reply on this post, hopefully this can become an annual event (along with the GMU which is held later in the year) & possibly alternate it with Ireland:cool:
    any questions please ask
    ALL BOOKED UP NOW!! If anyone else is interested i will help you try and get accommodation near to ours if you like

• Like Like x 8
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Great idea.Where are you thinking of going?

• Like Like x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I’m doing a 4 day Scotland trip in May :)
    Looks like it’ll be Thursday 17th-Sunday 20th :)
    This is to be confirmed though as a mate of mine does the planning and booking side of things because he’s retired and has more time on his hands than me and I’m always busy at work and paying taxes so he can have his pension:mad::p
    Would be good to meet up at some point and maybe spend a day or two riding with others:)
    Should know closer to the dates what routes we’ll be taking and where we’re staying

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    #3 Dougie D, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    it really depends how many are interested,if there's not too many the daily miles will be about 200 that gives us loads of time for stops and get to where we are staying late afternoon
    Monday i was thinking we could do the Oban/Inverary loop then head up through Rannoch Moor & Glencoe,then stay the night at the bunkhouse beside the ferry..about 191 miles
    Tuesday we will take the Corran ferry (think it's about £3.00) and do the loop that takes you onto "The Road To The Isles" then take the A82/A87 towards Kyle of Lochalsh and stay either there or on Skye about 144 miles..we might have time to have a run around Skye
    Wednesday go round the coast up to Ullapool,about 158 miles
    Thursday take the A835 then head towards Muir of Ord and join the A82 at Drumnadrochit and head down the side of loch Ness to Spean Bridge onto the a86 towards Aviemore then down through the Cairngorms to Braemar about 210 miles
    Friday over the Moulin Moor to Pitlochry then take the Queens View rd (B8019) and across to Aberfeldy then take the "Sma Glen" road to Crieff and up the side of loch Earn and down through the Trossachs staying at Drymen about 140 miles

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    That sounds like a great trip, lots of places Ive never been, and guaranteed some stunning scenery.I look forward to seeing this come together and that bunkhouse looks worth a visit too.

Would Mrorange make this a sticky?

• Like Like x 2
  6. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I might be up for that. I've fancied doing a trip up to Scotland for a while. One request though. I've heard there's a green shack on the CalMac ferry pier that does really good, reasonably priced seafood dinners (lunch to our southern friends). If I go, can we make this place a dinner time stop ? :pensive::pensive:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    yeah if we went clockwise to Oban we should be there a roundabout Dinner time/Lunch time!

8. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    @MrOrange any chance you can make this thread a sticky?

9. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    What kind of accommodation would you prefer? If you shared a room in a B&B or a hotel it would be approx £40.00 each,that would include breakfast..the hostels /wooden camping huts would be approx £20.00 each,but breakfast isn't included,you could cook your own in the hostels though,
    I'll try my best to get the best possible price wherever we stay. I'm thinking i would like to get this booked up by the end of February? as a couple of the places are on the NC500 route and some of the accommodation is already fully booked for May:eek:..If anyone doesn't fancy staying in a bunkhouse or a wooden hut there would be plenty B&Bs or hotels nearby so we could all go out for a meal/pint together at night.
    I'll phone around tomorrow for prices and I'll put some links up.
    If anyone is interested please let me know asap:)..if you've never been to Scotland on your bike you will be in for a treat..if you have been you will also be in for a treat:)..i have been told May is going to be.....

upload_2018-1-21_16-19-11.png upload_2018-1-21_16-20-1.png
    upload_2018-1-21_16-20-46.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    my thoughts too Andy:)

11. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
  12. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Count me in boys. Awesome idea. I was gonna head back to Scotland after the GMU (might still do so).

Just south of Pitlochry in Dunkeld, I can highly recommend Jessie Mac's luxury bunkhouse if you wanna press on nearer to Pitlochry after Braemar. Really good breakfast too. Cracking homemade muffins and outstanding porridge.

ByTheWay has a splendid kitchen for cooking breakfast. The nearby fish and chip restaurant is a must visit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    #11 Dougie D, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    that day we will be Passing through Pitlochry and we could do the Queens View rd (B8019) that you mentioned in the other thread (i'll edit Fridays route above)..we will be ending up in the Trossachs that day ..

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    If you want to take in the North East coast up Sprinter's neck of the woods, where the coast road is fabulously empty then you simply can't go wrong with the spacious, modern and superbly equipped Sail Loft Bunkhouse in Portsoy. Nice log fire, tons of room, modern bedrooms.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Stick your name here if you are coming
    1. Dougie D
    2. Andyc1
    3. Rich Bryce

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    How long do you reckon it would take me to get to the starting point from Essex? Unable to make Wales & International trips due to prior commitments, but diary is free at the moment for such a trip. ''Tis a long way I suspect"

17. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Hey Ken, I did ByTheWay to Bedford in one day in the rain early September last, with a couple of stop offs for lunch at Pontiland and to buy a new pair of boots in Richmond. I'm thinking to set off on the Saturday so it's not a long tiring treck and late arrival on the Sunday, either stop over three quarters of the way, or really early start and do it in one shot. I came across on the A68/A696 and down the A1, which is longer than the M1.

If you fancy some company, you could come by me on the Saturday morning then we could head up and overnight at a bunkhouse on the borders and have a nice ride over to ByTheWay on the Sunday. Doing it that way means taking nice non-motorway routes, e.g. A15 up to say Middlesborough and maybe meeting up with some of the Northern lads.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Sounds like a plan! How many days in total? Could I please confirm dates before I commit?

19. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Dougie's plan is meet up Sunday evening at ByTheWay bunkhouse this side of Glencoe and finishing at Drymen on the Friday, which is bottom end of Loch Lomond near Stirling. Drymen home is doable in one shot with an early start. Time goes much quicker when you're in company anyway.

So set off Saturday up to the borders. Pick up any stragglers on the way. Sunday leisurely ride to ByTheWay in Tyndrum, Crianlarich. Dougie's plans Mon-Friday, back South Saturday.

20. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Ok, sorry to be a pain. Ride to you Sat 12th, back Sun 20th? Not so sure about riding back in one hit :confused: I'm riding a TTR remember, but that could be up for discussion

21. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Not sure if it's the 12th, 19th or (preferably for me) 26th we start out, but I've no problem with breaking up the return journey. Something to discus nearer the time. I'm easy either way. In fact breaking up the return leg leaves time for more interesting roads than the M1/A1.

22. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Once the dates have been confirmed, I will commit & we can book accommodation