1999speed Triple Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Michael Gregory, Jul 3, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory New Member

Jul 3, 2018
    Oxford uk
    Hi all I have a 1999 speed triple which has developed a slight oil leak it appeared to be coming from the oil drain plug but after further investigation I have found a 8mm bolt with a copper washer fitted to it on the left side of the engine (see attached picture) which appears to be the culprit it seems to be leaking from this bolt and running down onto the sump then dripping from drain bolt the bolt is tight .My problem is I'm not sure what this bolt does and is it safe to remove it to fit a new copper washer or is something it's holding going to fall off inside engine any ideas guys .Have thought of a good degreasing and a dob of silicon but would prefer as proper fix .(Its the bolt next to oil pressure switch)
    Help Please
    Mick G

IMG_20180703_091344.jpg

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Dunno what the bolt is :confused: but I see you’ve got a manual :)
    Can’t you find a drawing of the engine casings and internals to see what it’s for :confused:

3. Michael Gregory

Jul 3, 2018
    Oxford uk
    #3 Michael Gregory, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Thanks for prompt reply :) yeh got Haynes manual searched through every page and nothing showing anywhere relating to this bolt hence my reluctance to just Wade in and loosen it to fit new copper washer in case it is holding an internal component which my fall off:(

4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Ok mate in that case I would wait until someone who knows these engines spots your question and can offer some help :)
    Good luck

5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I think it’s the bolt next to it that he’s on about :confused:

6. Michael Gregory

Jul 3, 2018
    Oxford uk
    Yeh thats correct its the bolt next to neutral light switch in the picture
    (second small arrow)

7. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I think you have 2 options .....

1. ) Undo the bolt 1/2 a turn only and wash out the area with brake cleaner or similar, then retighten and see if you can seal it ( maybe its a bit of grit under the seal washer )

2.) Take it into a triumph dealer and ask them to sort out the leak, which will be expensive but not as bad as any fault created by loosening the bolt.

Personally I would go for option 1 but that is your call, as its you taking the chance

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Michael Gregory

Jul 3, 2018
    Oxford uk
    Thanks for your reply well worth a try it's baffeling me what that bl@@dy bolt does

9. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Any motorcycle shop should be able to sort that little job if you can't do it, doesn't have to be a triumph dealer

10. Michael Gregory

Jul 3, 2018
    Oxford uk

11. Michael Gregory

Jul 3, 2018
    Oxford uk
    Spoken to technician at local triumph dealer undoing the bolt and renewing the copper washer is definitely a NO as the opposite end of the bolt in the inside holds the gear selector spring in position if this falls off internally it's a complete engine removal / strip down so it looks like a good decreasing and a dollop of good silicone
    Thanks Guys

12. Michael Gregory

Jul 3, 2018
    Oxford uk
    Spoken to technician at local triumph dealer undoing the bolt and renewing the copper washer is definitely a NO as the opposite end of the bolt in the inside holds the gear selector spring in position if this falls off internally it's a complete engine removal / strip down so it looks like a good decreasing and a dollop of good silicone
    Thanks Guys

• Useful Useful x 2
  13. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    That was a close call:eek::joy:

14. Michael Gregory

Jul 3, 2018
    Oxford uk
    Certainly was hope this was /is useful for fellow members :cool:
    Mick

15. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    looked more like a plug where the gear shift fork bore is.gearshift lever springs are on the other side of the engine behind the clutch.:confused:

16. Michael Gregory

Jul 3, 2018
    Oxford uk
    It's the abutment bolt shown in attached pic supplies by triumph technician

17. Michael Gregory

Jul 3, 2018
    Oxford uk
    Sorry couldn't attach file

18. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    can see the bolt you refer to.not over familiar with the 1999 engine only later 1050. but assumed the layout of shafts would have been the same.you gotta go with the techs knowledge though.