1998 Triumph Thunderbird Fuel Leak And Poor Fueling Issues

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Stompingbinkie, Oct 12, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Stompingbinkie

Stompingbinkie New Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Afternoon guys and girls. Newbie here and I've come across your site due to a sick Thunderbird.

It's a 98 model and have had no trouble with it until now. Went into the garage and was greeted with a strong smell of petrol, on closer inspection I found it was leaking from the over flow pipe on left hand side of the air box. Turning the fuel tap to "off" has stopped it for now but obviously theres a problem.

Also when I ride it now it's very buckaroo like on steady throttle and small low rev throttle openings, if I get the revs up and pin it she flys as normal.

I'm pretty sure the two are related and that's the reason I'm here. HELP!

Thanks in advance for any info you can supply.

2. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    Welcome to the forum, it might be that you've picked up some crappy fuel ,it sounds like the float needle's stuck ,you will have to take the carbs to bits and give it a clean.

3. Stompingbinkie

Oct 12, 2013
    Thanks for the reply Chrispy,

WOW what a pain in the arse it is to get just the airbox off! I did in the end with ALOT of swearing and i also removed the carbs to clean them out and also see if the floats were stuck.
    There was no real grime in there and the float pins seems to move freely, i used carb cleaner to spruce them up, i also checked the diaphragms and there intact with no splits.
    Put it all back together with a little more swearing and there is no difference, just as it was before?

Any other suggestions:upyeah:

4. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    #4 P19DJG, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    Hi & welcome to the forum View attachment 2446
    Definitely sounds like a float issue to me causing the fuel flow to continue into the carbs then spill over through the overflow pipe.

5. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Guessing that a small amount of dirt is inside the carbs and Chrispy is probably right about dirt being in the needle connected to the float that regulated the amount of fuel allowed into the carbs. You could check the float itself check its not punctured and does actually float. Its just a case of stripping and cleaning (I use compressed air to blow through the jets and then carefully reassemble.

Hope you get it sorted :upyeah:

6. Stompingbinkie

Oct 12, 2013
    Thanks for the advice guys, looks like i better get it into bits again :rolleyes:
    I did think that the pressurised carb cleaner can may have dislodged any dirt. Oh well I will take the carbs to work and get the air line on them and give them a proper blow out.

7. Stompingbinkie

Oct 12, 2013
    We'll after a little time away from the Triumph I've finally got my arse in to gear and had another look! I removed the one way fuel overflow valve and was greated with a loud whoooosh even after it's been stood not run for a long time. Thought I may have found a simple fix and went for a ride, no surging or bucking! BUT lack of power too, found that it was only running on cylinders 1&3 number 2 down pipe was cold. Tonight I found that number 2 plug was dead (no spark) replaced all 3 plugs, all sparking and went for a ride, power is back but so is the surging and bucking albeit not as bad.