1998 Speed Triple With A Few Issues

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Paul Bailey, May 21, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Paul Bailey

Paul Bailey New Member

May 4, 2018
    Romford Essex
    #1 Paul Bailey, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Hi all

Picked up a 1998 t509 a couple of weeks ago .

Hopefully someone on here can advise me on a few issues I am working through at the moment . Bike was running really rich but did have a cut down R1 exhaust that has now been changed to a Triumph low level race can and ecu was changed before I owned and has now been set to run on the new exhaust . The bulb had been removed from the engine management light . Now the only fault showing is the coolant sensor ( new one ordered ) reading 36c no matter how warm the engine is so hopefully this will take care of the engine light .But would this cause the bike to stall / mis fire . I am guessing that if it is still running on a cold engine map when its warm that this could be my problem ? Any thoughts gladly received as no other faults showing .

2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    #2 Col_C, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Welcome Paul.
    I'd say your guess is odds on favourite, get that temp sensor fitted and hopefully all should be good. I don't remember if the ecu capabilities on the 955 includes "adaptive reset" but if available then I would run that also (after you've cleared all errors and given the engine a brief run), it will then take a decent long run out for the ecu to tune in to optimum settings.
    (I assume you've already got Tuneecu hooked up)
    If your still getting problems after that, come back with an accurate description of symptoms and I'm sure we'll be able to offer further suggestions of where to look next.
    Let us know how you get on. :)

3. Paul Bailey

Paul Bailey New Member

May 4, 2018
    Romford Essex
    Thanks .Yes TuneECU on my laptop just waiting for the sensor to arrive so hopefully here for Friday then will be straight on it . Driving mad had it 2 weeks and managed 32 miles so far . Will let you know how I get on .

Cheers Paul

• Like Like x 1
  4. Paul Bailey

Paul Bailey New Member

May 4, 2018
    Romford Essex

Well have eventually sorted out my issues . Turns out the wires that go into the crank valve sensor were loose ( held in by some kind of putty ) and the the fuel pump was foobar . Filters full of dirt . Runs lovely now .But kind of get the feeling she has not been loved in the past so going to give her top to bottom service .only 20'000 on the clocks so hopefully when finished will be goods to go .

• Like Like x 2