1997 Third Won’t Start

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Dylan Quick, Mar 14, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dylan Quick

Dylan Quick New Member

Mar 14, 2023
    Wichita, ks
    I have a 1997 tbird 900 in great shape, 19k miles. I’m having starting issues. I’ve replaced the battery, and when I engage the key and the lights come one, I’m getting sound only when I engage the start. But no engine sound, just a small revving up sound from something. Bike will not turn over or act like it’s going to even start. But the click I hear about is happening but there’s also that revving sound as well at the same time. Any suggestions?

2. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    It sounds like the starter is not engaging , I Hope its not the Sprag Clutch:scream: These are a big issue on the Thunderbird 900 especially if the battery was not fully charged before you replaced it. Or Maybe a worn out Starter solenoid.
    Anyone have anymore Suggestions ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Sounds like the started is not engaging with the flywheel. New starter ?...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I would say sprag clutch myself, from the description outlined by Dylan it has all the signs it is, as Havit says it is unfortunately a time consuming job.

5. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Yep if it's the sprag it's an engine out and split in two job. Not for the faint hearted.

• Agree Agree x 1